1000th New Thread In This Section

Thanks, I’ll definitely give it a try.

Totally random but a nice coincidence that as storm Jorge is still blasting parts of the UK on this first day of March, turning over to a new month on the Walsall Legends calendar reveals none other than our own storming Jorge! Oh for his like in the team today.

Hanging around the hippo with a few crusties and cheap cider for pre troff / wheatsheaf drinks. Or the 5th if we were feeling plush

I don’t know if you remember Wolverhampton in the 60s and 70s? I’d defy you to walk round the town now and say it is no worse than then. It’s a horrible run down dump, it used to be the place to go for shopping, no point now, nothing of any interest there. Shame, but as PT says above, it’s a tale that could be told by many of the smaller towns (ooh, sorry, it’s a City, innit :laughing: )

Agree with some of the posts above, if you want a day out, rather than just a visit to Asda/Morrisons etc, then Shrewsbury has more to offer than most.

I know the internet thingy generally gets the blame for the decline, but I think successive governments got it wrong by allowing all these out of town places to be built, the sort that have a Primark/Matalan, a Pet World, Boots, a carpet shop or two, a Currys, a Home Bargains/Poundworld, a Dunelm, a Go Outdoors/Blacks etc., etc. They should have listened to us Luddites and kept the High Street viable. .

2 Likes

When I was a kid I used to walk into town on a Saturday morning with my Mom,you couldn’t move in the town centre,everywhere was rammed.I used to have to queue up in Mac fisheries while my mom went to other shops,it was the only way to get your stuff.The thing that ruined it was out of town shopping areas with free parking.If the council had concentrated on building free car parks all the way around the town centre,then supply some sort of free shuttle/monorail into town,kept the business rates at a decent level,then we might,just might have a decent choice of shops now.

6 Likes

The boat on the beach dale closely followed by tavern in the town two hardcore wfc pubs.

Loved it in there, used to go in 7 nights a week when it was at it`s best.

Agree about Southport, it’s now going downhill FAST, it’s going to lose Debenhams & Beales, already lost Russell & Bromley (the posh shoe shop) a couple of years back.
Lord Street used to be the place to be for shopping, now it 's fast approaching the likes of many poor town centre’s, full of empty shops, betting offices and charity shops, with rough sleepers/beggars filling unoccupied doorways…what a sad reflection of today’s American style out of town shopping worlds… but then again, the parkings nearly always free!

1 Like

Talking of Town centres dying Sutton has lost Next and M&S and even Aldi is going .more going on of a night

1 Like