1979-80 Promotion Reunion Night

Fabulous game, I remember it well.

That is an excellent photo. Mark Rees looks like he’s come straight from filming an episode of Grange Hill.

3 Likes

I was a junior season ticket holder from my first full season onwards, and used it to go and watch the reserves on a Saturday morning at 11:00 on the weekends that we had away games that I mostly didn’t go to (being a school kid with no transport or money of my own for the coach).

I have fond memories of the snack bar under the Wallows Lane stand where before the game and at half-time a very young Kenny Mower (already with afro) and a couple of the other yoof team players used to man the tea urn and serve me kitkats.

1 Like

And I bet the queue’s were a lot smaller than they are now…:smiley:

1 Like

Did they do chips?

Both mark and Kenny along with Brian caswell. And Stan Jones. Will be in railway club to meet fans prior to Saturday’s game against Crewe

2 Likes

After we beat Tranmere I can remember the headline in (I Think) the Observer

“Kenny mows 'em down”

No, but then we certainly didn’t expect to get 5,000+ crowds for the Saturday morning reserve games! :joy:

Occasionally there might be some “name” in the opposition’s ranks playing down among the dead-men as part of a comeback from injury who might put an extra few on the gate - I think the biggest I saw was Terry Conroy.

Also saw Don Penn come through the ranks (he scored one of the best goals I’ve ever seen against Stoke reserves - might even have been the Conroy game), and the 5th Clarke brother Kelvin whose career unfortunately didn’t live up to that of his brothers.

These days, due to work and distance, I don’t get chance to go to anything but first team games, although I might make an effort if the yoof/reserves make it to a cup final - but those are few and far between lately (think the last I went to featured a young Troy Deeney who was still trying to break through into the first team).

1 Like

I honestly can’t remember - but then wasn’t something I’d have had money to buy anyway (only able to go to the games because they were “free” as part of your season ticket), and I’d be home in time for my Saturday dinner so wouldn’t have needed to buy any even if you could.

Can remember there used to be a lot of steam from the tea urn billowing around the snack bar.

Yes Andy,I used to live in Pleck flats,so I used to take the kids (all 3 grown men posting on UTS now),it was great watching the progress of the youngsters,there used to be 3-400 most games,it was nice to sit in the stand too. Also,strange as it may seem to younger posters on UTS,it was the only way to find out how the first team were getting on,they used to announce it from time to time over the PA system :grinning:

That will be a great night. It was before my time but those who did follow the team then, Do not bother comparing that line-up to the current lot.

I was just trying to visualise Dave Serrella playing full-back because Tony Macken had just gone the wrong side of 13st post Christmas, Don Penn being asked to play on the wing, Ian Paul being too young at 18 and certainly too light-weight to play in the fourth division with a short-arse like Waddington… back in the day when the pitches were mud-heaps, the opposition could commit GBH before you saw a yellow card, and there was only one sub. How did we manage!! :no_mouth:

4 Likes