2015/16 or 2018/19 which teams better?

This side is more exciting???

Cant agree with you there Dan…

However, feel optimistic with this side most definitely, expecting grit and determination to really shine, whereas the 15/16 team didn’t really have that, they would just pull teams apart with sheer talent.

If the manager jumps ship mid season, we’ll find out who the better team is/was. I suspect it would be 18/19 in that sort of scenario.

It is pleasing to say that there is not that much between the teams but15/16 has the edge for me especially in pure football terms . If however some of our signings continue to improve especially Cook and Ferrier I may think differently at the end of the season.

The 15/16 team had plenty of talent, but played to much tippy tappy crab style football, this team are more direct, just a pity we couldn’t have a mixture of the 2 teams with the talent of sawyers and mantom and the raw talent of cook and Ferrier.

Combined 11

Etheridge (Liam Roberts isn’t far away with that match winning instinct)

Demetriou
O’Connor
Fitzwater
Rico

Dobson
Chambers (2015 version)

Ferrier
Sawyers
Forde (more for balance)

Bradshaw

Could only fit Ferrier in as a wide forward as needed 4-2-3-1 to get Sawyers in obviously. Other wing spot was actually a tough pick as not huge amount between likes of Morris, Forde, Lalkovic, Ginnelly and Ismail really. Forde probably best at tracking back and helping out FB.

1 Like

the 2015 side had more talent and really should have got us up that season but this team reminds me more of good sides in the years before that team and has more grit and determination.

What would give the 15/16 team the edge for me is that it had a natural goal scorer at this level. If Bradshaw got half a chance, you were surprised when he missed. If he had a clear 1 v 1 then it was never a question. As good as Ferrier has been, and the glimpses that Cook and Gordon have shown, they don’t appear to be natural goal scorers.

It’s by no means a criticism as they’ve all contributed goals in one form or another, I just think Bradshaw was a level above.

Obviously 15/16 at the moment. Combined 11:

Etheridge (I like Roberts but it’s not even close)

Demetriou
Downing
Guthrie
Henry

Mantom
Dobson (Love Chambers but I think both of these players are more technically gifted)

Ismail
Sawyers
Lalkovic (although I don’t think today’s version gets in our team. He has regressed as a player)

Bradshaw

Subs: Roberts, O’Connor, Chambers, Ferrier, Leahy, Evans, Forde

1 Like

Mantom wasn’t actually that great in 15/16. Bad injury got limited him when he return and him and Taylor were getting loads of stick on this forum that final year despite being overall good players for the club.

Did think about putting George Evans in but wasn’t here long enough.

Can’t say i actually agreed with that stick to be honest, even more so with Taylor who I thought always did a very solid job for us.

I suppose Evans still qualifies and maybe he’d come in for Mantom.

There are moments in a season where you think ‘that could cost us in the long run’. I remember us being 1-0 up at home against Blackpool deep into injury time and Taylor breaking forward. Rather than playing the ball into to corner and winding down the clock, he had a go from 30 yards which sailed way over. Low and behold, Blackpool broke forward, won a free kick, and equalized with the last kick of the game.

Throughout the season I’m sure there were other moments from other players, but that’s the one that sticks out for me when I think about how we missed out on the autos. It doesn’t affect my overall view of Taylor though as he was excellent for us, especially in his first few seasons when I thought we’d struggle to get anyone as good as Matt Sadler at left back. How wrong was I!?

The emergence of Rico, and the wing back formation in the final season, masked what a good player Taylor was

4 Likes

This thread has aged well. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Ah, hindsight…

I See el Nombre has Guthrie in his squad :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Even at the time that’s a bloody awful pick :joy:

How foolish some of us look now!!!

Was seriously impressive at the start of the season and carried Fitzwater at times during that period. Never a James O’Connor fan, thought Downing carried him and considering their careers since I think that’s fair :man_shrugging:

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing.

Ha ha I was only messing … tbf he did have a decent run.

But over the last two season he’s proven to be an absolute cart horse. Never a professional Footballer in my eyes.

1 Like

Yeah clearly not League one level anyway. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Not sure how he went from being a much improved footballer at the start of the season to being ridiculously immobile at the end of it.

But then I suppose you could say that about most of this squad.

2 Likes

The two daft subs cost us that game in my view. I do agree with you that it was that mad 5 minutes that cost us promotion.