23 years

The two goals for Millwall were very late, Tim Cahill and Paul Ifill getting them. That pair owed us something for all the times they tore us apart over the years, bloody nuisances they were. :smile:

I’m sure we (my friends and I) left the ground assuming PNE had won, were told by a mate outside they had drawn, we thought he was mistaken, he assured us he wasn’t. It was all a bit confusing, we knew City had lost, everyone trying to do calculations in their heads and it seemed we only needed 2 points to go up, which seemed too easy to be correct, but the more we calculated the more certain we became. It was such an amazing turn around from the previous Tuesday at Deepdale where defeat seemed to have almost finished our chance.

There were a couple of fans near us who had mobile phones, and they were trying to get updates through the match but it was a shambles. They struggled to get through, couldn’t get whoever they phoned (their moms I think for both of them) to understand what they wanted to know, would get cut off and have to start again, I thought “these things will never catch on, they’re hopeless” and so we concentrated on the bloke who had a tiny radio, but he said his batteries were dying and he had to switch it off every so often to preserve some life. :laughing: Watching football was so much more fun back then when we were cut off from the rest of civilisation. :crazy_face:

It really was a great day though.

1 Like

A great read then and it has aged well.
Your observations on the social aspects of supporting the Saddlers are, perhaps, more pertinent then ever in these lean times.

Superb article fella.

1 Like