300K cash injection for Infrastructure and Saddlers Club

Our construction expert board member will have that in hand.

1 Like

‘The Venue’ is more for bookings and events though isn’t it.
I see the Saddlers Club as being turned into a place open 7 days a week for walk in customers instead.
It won’t just be a place for a piss up 1 day out of 14, if it’s shut it isn’t making money, they’ll want this open every day.

I’d be asking for itemised bills given his track record.

3 Likes

With the new pouring rights deal, I’m guessing they could turn It into a pretty cool place to have a beer.

Lots of modern examples that we should be copying, hate to say it but I think Vale have just shown off their new bar…. Looks the business.

1 Like

Hopefully it makes up for the terrible view from their stands. Accrington Stanleys refurb was pretty impressive, although that was an in stadium bar:

4 Likes

I believe it was previously run by a self elected committee , hopefully it will be a more professional operation, I’m guessing the numbers have been crunched.

That’s it mate, something like that would be brilliant wouldn’t it.

I’d definitely use it.

At the right price.

1 Like

Macclesfield’s Bar is quality too.

1 Like

Any idea when they’ll start refurbishing? Straight away? Few months? A year?

Asian weddings could be a winner.

2 Likes

Trouble is that the demographic has changed. Pubs all over the country are closing down because people in the main don’t want to come and drink at a pub. Those that are surviving have turned more into restaurants where youu can go for a meal with friends and family.

1 Like

I’m all for it reopening and I’d gladly use it if the prices are sensible.
I’m still not sure how they’re gonna make money from it on non match days though. Pubs are still going to the wall on a daily basis and these are owned by breweries and chains that have decades of expertise in the UK hospitality sector.
Fingers crossed there’s a cunning plan in place, but whatever the outcome I think we should all applaud the endeavour.

2 Likes

What is the ownership model? Wasn’t it originally provided by the club, following the move from FP , but “owned” by The Supporters Club?
Has that now changed. Dotes it now belong to the club?

Anyone know?

A lot are franchised. Some by people who have no idea how to run a pub from my personal experience with them as business people.

Most well ran pubs and bars (a big filter I know) survived Lockdown with the generous grants for the industry by being sensible, then adapting to any gradual rule changes that came their way.

There are pubs that have gone to the wall because of Covid, but I have seen a lot of cases where it has only accelerated what was happening in the long run, to places that lived in the past and never adapted.

Turn it into a micro brewery like the one on Salford keys, get a decent chef, make it a destination that people WANT to travel to

2 Likes

Anything out of the box, not just a social club, will have a lure in this area I would have thought.

Go to any major city and there are bars booming with unique selling points, full of people paying a fortune for drinks because they are nice places to go. You don’t have to do much to be unique round here.

2 Likes

Make it into a sports bar come restaurant

2 Likes

Exactly yeah, that’s why I said it won’t just be a place for a piss up. I can see half being a sports bar for people who want to drink and the other being mainly food, I’d probably go with what they know, American diner food perhaps as that would work during the week and match day.

Another option is going desi as it’s so popular round here, however with the Fullbrook reopening down the road in November (I think) ran by Soho Tavern, it’d be difficult to compete with them away from match days.

Lets remember to keep it simple, it’s Walsall, people are going to be put off if it’s too expensive and something they aren’t used to lets be honest.

2 Likes

And there is the Bradford arms and the Metro on the broadway that are very popular

1 Like