74/75 Season - never better

Typical one our best season is the year I was hatched on New Years Eve in Blocko Maternity Home.

1 Like

I think Terry Spinner went to Burton Albion after his release from Saddlers.

Not sure what went wrong. Think his record was something like 5 goals in 10 games. Shows how good our forward line must have been

Best season of his career do you think?

2 Likes

Brian Taylor was another of my favourite players too from that team. In fact I think most of my favourite players were in that team!

4 Likes

@JumboTrudgeon Yes I’d say so. He was ever-present that season and won the player of the season claiming 59% of all votes cast. I asked him about his goal v Newcastle and he replied, "I was never one to seek fame at all. My only hope was to keep the fans happy when I played. "

@Switlgc Same here. A terrific player Brian who is always remembered with great fondness by Preston and Plymouth fans. I managed to track down his son once who told me, " I recall dad used to open this big suitcase from time to time which was jam packed of Walsall football programmes that he played in. He was so proud."

My first season. Can remember very little about it to be honest as I was three/four years old.

Sat on the wall at the laundry end side of the halfway line opposite the dugouts. I did about a dozen home games apparently. No evening games nor games with big crowds. So the cup run will have passed me by.

A few of players from that season would be there for a few years and be amongst my first set of Walsall heroes. Notably Buckley. But also Kearns, Birch, Serrella, Harrison and Caswell.

I know I voted for him that season. He certainly made us happy, we’re still talking about him 45 years later.

1 Like

@JumboTrudgeon We are hopeful of getting George to take part in a Q and A night at the Railway Club with a couple of other players once things get back to normal I know it would be a good night he is never short for words.

3 Likes

Wonder how many of the recent lot will still be talked about in 45 years?

I can think of plenty of things better than the 1975…

Brian Taylor the second with that name to play for us. Started on the wing or midfield before becoming an early attacking wing back. I believe he sadly passed away in his early forties.

2 Likes

My love affair with WFC started on Good Friday this season. A 0-3 loss at Tranmere! Only a kid at the time, we sailed (I live in Northern Ireland) into Birkenhead, arriving Friday morning, stayed 3 nights in a YMCA there. Went to Prenton park on Friday, Liverpool v Birmingham on Saturday and Everton v Middlesboro on the Monday. Then home again. It was my first ever game in England and Walsall was my team from then on while all the kids in my class were either Kevin Keegan or George Best in the playground, I was Alan Buckley!

7 Likes

A few years of intensive therapy and hopefully we will be able to forget them. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

remember turning up at St Andrews as a 9 year old with my dad at mid day when the gates opened so we could get down to the front. There were thousands of fans outside waiting to get in.

2 Likes

Nice story.
It could have been a lot worse considering the other two games you went to. You could have been in the playground pretending you were Garry Pendrey or Stuart Boam. :laughing:

1 Like

I remember that too. With a friend we walked from Aldridge through the night to make sure we got ours. Brilliant season.

1 Like

My first game (also aged 11) was Grimsby as needed vouchers from both that and Bury to get tickets for Newcastle.

Unfortunately I was hooked from the start - and 45 years later I still am!

3 Likes

My first full season. I do wonder if had been a crap one would the love have stayed??
Remember the Brighton 6-0 under the lights, chips on the way home as usual from the shack that used to be by the bottom end of Heath rd in Darlo.

Remember going down to the Newport 2nd round game, in the puke green Hillman Avenger (beige/brown velour seats). Stopped at Strensham services on the way back and the team bus pulled in. Found myself standing at the urinals next to big Bernie (don’t know if it applied down there too, I’d have been too scared to look :pleading_face:) and the Buck. Just to be clear, it’s the only memorable incident I’ve ever had in a public toilet !!!

5 Likes