91 years ago today - 14th January 1933

He definitely needs to be commemorated at bescot. Criminal that he isn’t :frowning:

2 Likes

We do need to make sure that our true legends are not forgotten somehow. And by legends, I don’t mean just good players but the ones that were truly exceptional and who served for a long time. Allsop, Taylor, Richards and Buckley are certainly there.

That’s 4: who else would be in our top ten? I would have MOC and Stan Bennett myself. Jimmy W? Shakey?

On Buckley, by the way, Mick Kearns, who does have a good eye for these things, said Buckley was just a shade too slow for the highest level. But he was brilliant in the 3rd division.

2 Likes

McPherson one of my favourites and should be in there.

1 Like

We do have the Albert McPherson lounge…and one for Buckley and for Sir Ray.

My dad loves Buckley when i started going he was our manager by then so never saw him in his prime heard plenty about how good he was over the years though my old man says we will never have one better hes been saying that since the 80s and he is still right today :rofl:

3 Likes

In 50 odd years of supporting Walsall, there isn’t a player that comes close to Alan Buckley for me. It was a privilege to be there to watch his career
He then became the most exciting manager we have had, in my humble view.
The ultimate club legend in my longstanding era of supporting Walsall FC

7 Likes

Back on topic.
I understand that @Welsh_Saddler sent updates from the Arsenal match by carrier pigeon to Up Ye Olde Saddlers :smile:

1 Like

Mistaken identity - it must have been @Pedagogue

2 Likes

Or possibly Newportsaddlersgreatgrandad

I also think Don penn was showing signs of being a real good Striker under buckleys tutoring till he got injured but think Man City was in for him but yes the buck was the best goal scorer in my time

1 Like