A Modest Proposal

With all of the uncertainty about what happens about promotion/relegation if the season doesn’t resume, why not just extrapolate teams current form for the remainder of the season. In a totally disinterested spirit, I have saved the EFL a lot of work and performed the following calculations:

1. Take the points each team has gained from its last 5 games
    2 Divide by 5 to get the average
    3 Multiply the answer at step 2 by the number of remaining games
  2. Add to existing points tally to get a total for each team

This would give a final table as follows:

1 Cheltenham 90
2 Swindon 89
3 Plymouth 82.4
4 Crewe 81.4
5 Exeter 74
6 Port Vale 73.2
7 Walsall 69
8 Colchester 68.8
9 Northampton 68.8
10 Salford 66.2
11 Bradford 64.8
12 Crawley 62.4
13 Grimsby 57.8
14 FGR 57

The play-off positions could then be determined by giving the 4th promotion spot to the team with the highest average number of points from the last 5 games, as follows:

Crewe 1.6
Exeter 1.0
Port Vale 1.8
Walsall 2.2 (promoted)

I’ve done this just to be helpful to the EFL of course, and would expect no remuneration for my efforts :wink:

22 Likes

What a great idea…it is a sign there is no football. Great minds then play other games :grinning:

It also helps that I have got a cough (probably not COVID-19) but am self-isolating in any case. Amazing what some serious boredom can do.

Makes perfect sense to me.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t see anyone objecting to that.

A completely unbiased solution from someone in Huddersfield.

1 Like

The trouble is I posted it in “All about Walsall”. It could give the game away!

1 Like

A stupendous idea :wink:

A super idea.

Perfect!
With the bonus of Crewe and Fail staying down! :rofl:

Could Adeybayo finish up as the Leagues top scorer using your calculations?

Forget Adebayo, if the season is abandoned does this mean that the Gordon/Cook wager is null and void?

1 Like

Why not apply last 5 games average to the whole season giving us 101 points.Not done other teams but we would probably be champions.

1 Like

Not at all. We often allow ‘outsiders’ to post on these hallowed pages.

@cookyskid is clearly not a Walsall fan so his posts can be taken to be thoroughly objective.

How very dare you sir!

2 Likes

don’t forget that Adebayo will also score an extra 35 between now and the end of the season making my “top scorer” bet at 50/1 a winner too!

1 Like