Added time

Was there a serious injury yesterday?

Was at Bloodstock festival so have little knowledge of yesterday’s game especially as the wifi signal was s*** which reduced @Belphegor to slow running BBC match updates when more quick betting site updates could’ve been available… :wink:

8 minutes added on is a long long time. Yes I know there were drink breaks that get added on but these should only be for about a minute-90 seconds surely, not 5 minutes. Were no goals in second half when injury time was announced.

Just looking at the subs…Stevenage made 2 subs at half time so you can’t add a minute on when play hasn’t even restarted. Stevenage also made a double sub at 62 minutes so again can’t really add a minute on when I presume the players were jogging quickly off with their team losing?

Walsall only made two in second half which also surprised me.

So time added on from subs should’ve been two minutes if I’ve totted it up correctly.

Where did the extra 6 minutes come from? Yes you’ll always get timewasting but not six minutes worth. I see Owen Evans got a booking so I presume 30 seconds was added on for that.

Unless someone was down for a few minutes and then stretchered off it just seems yet another league 2 ref that has no clue about game management and just let a game time spiral out of control when he added another minute on top of what he’d given.

Always remember Gareth Ainsworth getting a huge round of applause for taking it to the corner and wasting 20-30 secs (maybe more)

1 Like

Was not there due to work but read and hearing we spent alot of the 2nd half time wasting

Swings n roundabouts, thats why I never question it.

Obviously disappointed why we concede but thrilled when we score.

You have to be pragmatic over these things.

1 Like

You sound like me. Have you been inside my head? :crazy_face:

1 Like

Honestly think refs need to clamp down by giving bookings early on to players who are winning and taking nearly a minute to take a throw in on halfway line if that’s the case. A wing back who’s in plenty of one v one duels would think twice otherwise it’s a very cheap sending off and he’d get fined for it (as we saw with Allen last week).

Not sure what time Evans got booked yesterday but refs always seem to bottle booking keepers taking ages on goal kicks and wait to right until end of the game to givem them a yellow, seen it many times in premier league so it must be a directive in meetings.

If you book Evans in 60th minute then he’d be speeding his goal kicks up after that.

It’s probably a better place than inside my head right now! :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Late I think. Not sure 100% but iirc it was in added time.
I think you are right, refs leave it too late to crack down. Give a warning in the dressing room before the match and then show a yellow card for every offence, however early it might take place. Players would stop doing it if they knew punishment was the result.

Evans was booked at 90" + 2.

There is nothing official about the 30 seconds added per substitution, it is just a “rule of thumb” that most referees follow. I remember Dean Smith making two substitutions during added time when we were a goal up, inevitably the opposition scored in the extra minute that the referee decided to add on.

I have never liked to see Walsall use time-wasting tactics, I think that it gives the initiative to the opposition, and that most of our players lack the skill to carry it out effectively. I hope we will learn from this unfortunate loss of two points

1 Like

He was the best. Remember him coming on as a sub with about 10 minutes left against Burnley when we were 1-0 up, fighting for our lives in Div 2. He kept it on the corner for almost the entire time he was on the pitch and we held on, much to the delight of our supporters.

1 Like

Confession I didn’t like Don too much for periods when he was with us. I openly admit I was so wrong and naive about his back then!

It’s making catching the 17:05 to Cannock pretty precarious. When the trains run, that is.

1 Like

I’m more annoyed that we were trying to keep the ball in the corner with 5 minutes of added time left more than anything. That’s not our game at all, we should have focused on trying to kill the game off, we’re better that way.

6 Likes

Yes, I said that. Stop trying to keep it in the corner as it never works.

It would work, if … you have players knowing what to do in such situations. And have some skill of course. Anyway, onwards and upwards, it was only one game.

After what happend yesterday, made me laugh what just happend in the Forest game.

Referee adds 3 minutes on, yet there was a 2 minute water break and a VAR call which was around 2 minutes.

Forest score at 46:05, kick off resets at 47:10, referee calls for half time at 47:50.

So of the 3 minutes added on, which he didnt even play a minimum of, there were just 1:45 of added time played.

Maybe if the they had the referee we had, they would have played another 5 minutes :smiley:

I do wonder if the two clocks running showing in play and actual is the best way forward. It really would render some of the gamesmanship redundant.

The back pass rule changed the flow of the game massively. I think this would have a similar impact. Put the 4th official (or even 5th official) in charge of time and time alone.

Means the referee can concentrate on getting bread and butter calls right

2 Likes

The time should just stop whenever the game stops. Of all the stupid rules they keep messing about with, this needs introducing.

1 Like

We’d be there until midnight for midweek games then!

1 Like

The clock only stops in RU when the ref decides it should, or when certain things occur. It doesn’t automatically stop when the ball goes into touch for example.
I can’t think of a good reason why the ref couldn’t stop the clock for similar reasons such as an injury, goal or substitution.
Time wasting is more subjective though.

1 Like