Adebayo on his way?

I’m going to steal that.

I stole it some years ago, from a much better person than me :wink:

5 Likes

Really surprised how well he’s doing. Couple of goals already and I thought championship level would be a bit too early for him when you compare his career here to say Fryatt who had a couple of years of good goalscoring in league 1 before stepping up as did Bradshaw more recently.

Not sure a prem team will come in for him anytime soon but a top end championship team could well do so yes hope for a decent sell on fee although it won’t be anything compared to what Rico could potentially fetch.

Have to credit him considering how raw he looked at league 2 level just over a year ago.

1 Like

I suppose, to be fair, we should give credit to someone on the coaching staff.

Out of interest, is there any suggestion of Walsall including a sell-on fee for Elijah?

Personally, I’d be very surprised if this was actually the case: we were hardly holding all the aces when we began negotiations were we (despite rejecting the King of Hearts) with the clock ticking on both deadline day and the end of his contract?

As I recall, the whole sale was a bit of a shambles wasn’t it?

I genuinely hope that you’re right though and admire your optimism, @SaddlerHQ

There might be. There are unspecified add-ons as per WPM minutes 8th Feb:

“CS then asked if there were any add-on clauses included with the transfers of Zak Jules and Elijah Adebayo. SG commented that the Agreement is private and confidential between the two parties but there are add-ons but these would remain confidential and will not be publicised.”

There are sell-on clauses in the transfers of both Adebayo and Jules.

1 Like

Are those minutes incomplete then as they don’t specifically mention sell-on?

Thank you, both, I wasn’t aware of that.

Fingers crossed then :slightly_smiling_face:

In years to come will he return as the new Deeney or Rico thread? Surely someday we will get something from one of these sell-on clauses!

In 2035 we’ll all be congratulating Eli on his fantastic 14 year career with Luton and wishing him well in his new career after retiring from football. :laughing:

4 Likes

Hope I’m still around to post!

1 Like

If he does move earlier then we can always moan about the rent instead I suppose.

1 Like

We pay rent?? :astonished: Who too? :wink:

Thank god there’s sell on fees for Jules and Adebayo.

Look forward to reaping the benefits of them as we always do.

4 Likes

:thinking::thinking::thinking::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Scored a pen tonight! :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

Good to see ade doing so well at Luton… scored again today in a win . Deserves all the plaudits he gets and goes to show what can be achieved if you put the effort in like he did for us .

7 Likes

Another lovely finish

3 Likes

He’s another good example at the false economy that we work at Walsall.

We never quite back ourselves with contracts. The money in the game these days means that you can have a pretty poor conversion ratio and still make hay.

Take our six promising attacking youngsters from last season. Gordon, Holden, Nolan(ish), Adebayo, McDonald and Bates. Give them all four year deals on £2k a week which would have been a massive push out of the boat. A £624k commitment over four years.

But all you need is for one or two of them to be as good as you hope they could be to get the money back. Adebayo is proving to be a million pound player. Were he under contract for two or three more years we either win by having a million pound player or we win by getting a million pounds for him. In turn, his million pound has paid for and then some for the gamble you took on six of your prospects. They effectively become free hits and who is to say Rory isn’t worth £750k if under contract. This then gives you leeway to “go again”. Perry and Leak get the same deal and you’ve still got cash left over.

There are clubs who seem to do this well. Then there is us. We don’t back many of our signings to really make it. Which means we always get bottom dollar, if indeed we get any dollar at all, when they move on.

19 Likes