Afghanistan scheme

Just watched replay of EFL highlights and focus on Walsall and a scheme working with refugees from Afghanistan. Superb initiative, surprised the club aren’t making more of this to counter the initiatives by the hard of thinking to organise stuff and trying to hijack our club as a vehicle for their vile views.

9 Likes

Sounds like a good initiative but I have no idea what you mean by " the hard of thinking trying… to hijack our club as a vehicle fortheir vile views"

Well they wouldn’t have far to travel to games from the hotel next door

I wasn’t there mate but heard of someone being “shown out” after distributing anti-migrant flyers. And talk of an anti-migrant demonstration at some point. Sorry mate I don’t agree with that and think it is not representative of WFC. Our Saddlers family and the UTS community have helped me through stuff with Dad etc. I just don’t like initiatives to cause anti-immigrant sentiment that is based on lies about numbers and their impact.

21 Likes

I had a delivery driver come to my work at the beginning of last week asking a few of us if we were Walsall fans. I obviously said yes and he told me about the protest they have planned too :man_facepalming:t2: “Join before it’s too late, they’re taking over. We’ll be scared to leave our house soon and if you attack one you’ll be done for GBH!”

Yes, in the same way that if you hit ANYONE you’ll get done.

7 Likes

I’ve seen the flyer going round it’s Monday 8th May 2.30pm at Bescot Stadium Car Park, we’re at home that day to Doncaster kick off Midday I think.
I’m sure the club will do everything in its power for it not to take place on the car park.

2 Likes

Would be a PR disaster to allow that to happen.

Presume it’s organised by some Walsall fans? If so perhaps some warnings of a ban might be in order?

2 Likes

Doncaster game is 12.30 kick off.

1 Like

Ha its probably the same people who said “keep politics out of football” as well.

:man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case.
But whoever the organisers are they’ve clearly deliberately chosen the date and time to coincide with our last game of the season and 15 mins after full time.

Appears to be a really cynical attempt to bolster their numbers and claim it’s well supported.

Almost as if they think its OK to condone violence against these people braindead.

I don’t think the club can ban someone for protesting, whether they agree with it or not.

I’m sure there’ll be plenty of police though, hopefully we won’t have an increased bill because of it, afterall it isn’t on the Bescot grounds so shouldn’t do?

An absolute disgrace if this protest is allowed to go ahead and will put our clubs name through the mid being associated with it in any way. If nothing else is there not a possibility we can arrange a counter protest and possibly a banner at the last game with ‘refugees welcome’ on it?

2 Likes

Hadn’t heard anything about that. I mean the gov has to get to grips with the illegal migration and inept or lack of processing of legit claims but what the hell has that got to do with Walsall FC. If it is a legit protest about that then ok but what’s the point of a protest at the club, go protest your PM or Parliament and if it is as it sounds more likely just a bunch of racist morons out to cause trouble then that’s just disgraceful and certainly has no place at the club.

1 Like

The Governments hopeless policy of dealing with asylum seekers the massive backlog inability to process refugees and illegal immigrants has literaly landed on our doorstep through no fault of Walsall FC, Walsall Council or the people of Walsall. I hope this protest does not go ahead I also hope there is no counter protest as that tends to just make things even worse. It has nothing to do with football and and the protesters have nothing to do with Walsall FC. We should all make it clear we want no part of it.

Agree with everything you say.

The club can ban anyone they like, its a private company and property.

Also in respect of current legislation any behaviour which is deemed to be disorderly within 2 miles of a football ground is an arrestable offence, and that’s a very broad brush.

Just to clear up a misunderstanding. These people are not illegal immigrants, they are asylum seekers.
Big difference.

5 Likes

This is terrible PR for us if its not stopped. The club also has been tarnished by that announcer in the suite when he was introducing Acorns and said something about the illegals in the hotel over the road.

People are entitled to their views, but i dont want it on a match day and for WFC to be associated with it.

For anyone reading that is organising it, why not direct your ire at the rich? Some poor sausage from Afghanistan or Iran is not the reason for your disappointing life.

15 Likes

Is this the same bloke who does the pitch side stuff?