Age for first match

I was 9 went to St Andrew’s with with 2 of my Aunts who were Blues St holders then Fellows Park the same season for Walsall Hereford 1976
I took my son quite young 2 or 3 years old to Torquay away and Bournemouth the following season

6 or 7 at Fellows Park in the mid 80’s.
Can’t remember the game.

I started taking my lad at 6 ,That was because he was only able to sit still and watch at that age and not want to go running up and down the steps annoying people and waking them up

4 Likes

To be fair, the past 5 years or so have been a fantastic cure for insomnia!

I was 11 when I attended my first game in 71 / 72 season but I’d been taken to see West Brom by my old man from around 5 or 6. I’d been to Wembley twice to watch them before I ever set foot in Fellows Park. I must be the complete opposite of a glory hunter.

I took my lad to his first game when he was 7.

My first game i cant remember but i must have been around 5 my first memory i do remember is a friendly against kidderminster doing a complete lap of the pitch.

The game i got hooked would have been the special night in bury in 1995 at the age of 10.

My lads first game would have been the keates era he was 5, although the reason he would go is for the bribe of loads of sweets he had no interest in the football at all. It has probably been the hardest era to keep him interested tbf. He really got the bug for football on the back of the Euros now hes football mad. When it looked like he had no interest whatsoever. Since then hes joined a football team, become a regular with me at the matches and plays Fifa and spends every spare minute kicking ball against the fence in the back garden.

I was 3 when my old man took me to my first match. Took mine around 5 - 6 years old

I was 9 years and 10 months old when I first went to Fellows Park - a home defeat to Crystal Palace.

I think I was 6. We lost 1-0 to Torquay and I was still mad enough to give my soul to the club.

I would have been 5 years of age in1957. I remembering being allowed to go to the front so that I could see.

At that age, I’d be looking to take them to some non-league matches. You can take a ball along and usually have a kickabout before the match, at half time and, if desired, after the match. Plus you usually have lots of space to run around.Get them enjoying going to football and then hit them with the crushing disappointment of following Walsall a little later :rofl:

2 Likes

Ooh, you cynic, Shrops - but how correct! :grinning:

1 Like

I took both my boys when they were 4. Was too early and both ended up having a break and started going again when they were 6.

Nothing wrong with giving it a try see how they get on. If we are a bit better this season, especially at home it could be a good time.

Took my eldest to Burnley away for his first match. He was nearly 4. The wife and our youngest (6 months old at the time) were both ill with colds. The wife said why don’t you both go out for the day, so we hot footed it to Turf Moor. I think the wife had something like Sea Life Centre in mind, not Burnley :wink:

2 Likes

I was 15 only child, mom and dad had no interest in football. Also living in borough of Wolverhampton supporting Walsall was unheard of. As I said on here before, a cousin said I should support the town I was born in thinking it was Wolverhampton but I was born at the Manor so I set out to find the ground which I did by catching 529 bus, getting off at Manor and walking along the Pleck Road. Once I knew where the ground was I went to the next match, Newport County (last of season 79/80) and we lost 4-2. That was the start of this journey. I took both my son and daughter from age of 6 and both still support us now. Funnily enough I asked my husband (Wolves season ticket holder for over 45 years) if he regrets not taking kids with him (too much hassle for him when they were young) and he does.

2 Likes

Oh no it wasn’t. :smile:

I took my daughter when she was 5, ironically to the first league Cup game of last season. She got the bug after the Euro’s so thought it was a good time.

If you’re a season ticket holder it’s well worth getting them one too as it’s practically free. She doesn’t come to every game but it’s good to have the option rather than having to pay for an extra ticket every time.

It’s crazy how the club aren’t screaming it from the hills.

2 Likes

I cannot remember my first league match but the first programme in my collection is the floodlight match against Falkirk in 1957 when I was 12. I think I had been to a number of games before that.
My daughter who is still a season ticket holder came to the Boxing Day game in 1986 as a member of Blue Coat School choir. She was 15 and had shown little interest in football however the 2-0 win over Newport immediately turned into a devotee of the saddlers and I was delighted. My wife is now a season ticket holder too so matches create good talking points when we get together.

2 Likes

Had they introduced goal nets at that point? :wink:

1 Like

I second that. Although, back in my day (and I think yours too?), there wasn’t the rivalry there really, because Wolves were a top team and we were a fixture in the Third Division. Don’t get me wrong, I had no love for Richards, Dougan, Munro, Wagstaff, Hibbitt et al, but they were, in every way, in a different league to us.

1 Like