Ahead of our time

Mention on other topics about schemers re Alan Baker and Ken Hodgkisson and attacking wing backs and Brian Taylor (2) reminds me of a game in September 1988 when we invented playing without a recognised #9 or centre forward. Due to injuries we only had a Scottish triallist to wear that shirt. Someone can perhaps remind me of his name. Despite this Alex Taylor ran the show and we won 5-0. All the better the opposition was Birminghsm City.

1 Like

I remember that game. A Bluenose workmate of mine cadged a lift to the game and sat up in the stand (I was in the Street End as usual). He was already waiting when I got back to my car as he had left before the end - in fact he said he stood up to go when it got to 4-0 but there was such a queue of Brummies trying to make their escape that by the time he managed to get to the exit it was 5! :rofl:

Willie Callaghan. On loan from Dunfermline. Scored on his second game in our 1-2 defeat at home to Stoke.

1 Like

I loved Alex Taylor. My dad still hates Stoke City for crocking him. I think we could have stayed up had he stayed fit because he was a really gifted play-maker.

1 Like

That’s the man. How many did he play in total?

I agree. One of the most skilfull and intelligent players to wear the shirt.

2 Likes

Just those 2 games Bham and Stoke.

Thought so. Thanks.