Alfie Bates - how far can he go?

Yeah looks a great prospect who we could get a good cash windfall from in a few years time. That’s why it’s imperative that we get him signed up on a 3year deal soon as possible.

Bumped into a Luton Town scout at Darlington. Said he was there “to have a look” but wouldn’t say any specific players.

Interesting one that, I remember when we had another exceptional small midfield player under Buckley, in David ‘mini’ Preece, who was it again that nicked, sorry signed him from us for next to nothing.

Oh yes Luton Town.

2 Likes

Oh to have that midfield again of Preece, Shakespeare and Childs😊

4 Likes

Let’s just let him play and see where it takes him, and us.

1 Like

Just let’s leave him alone , we all want him to do well , but remember he looks half decent in a poor midfield.
Hopefully he will mature into a quality player .
At this stage it’s not helpful to be comparing him to any one .

2 Likes

Agreed, far too much expectation being placed on him, let’s remember he’s playing in a ■■■■ team with virtually no midfield so it doesn’t take a lot to stand out, let’s see if he can continue to improve as the season unfolds

Childs doesnt get mentioned as often as the other two but he was a terrific footballer that scored some great goals.

2 Likes

If ANY team in the EFL should show interest in the lad he will be off- loaded in an instant for a small handful of shekels, and of course, a packet of pork scratchings.
Hardy is another lad that will eventually show promise (if ever he is given a proper chance by tinkerman) and will be given away at the earliest opportunity to the first sniff of cash if Whalley (sorry Mr. Pomlett) has anything to do with it!

1 Like

I want to know what happens to all these pork scratchings.

1 Like

Doesn’t help our cause when we are all on here saying how good he’s been(Alfie)maybe if we all say he’s been crap them pesky scouts will go away!

Here’s hoping other teams pesky scouts are as efficient at picking talent as our catering staff are at coping with a rush…and come in cash in hand for Liddle, Norman, Holden & Adebayo, lets put it out on Wikapedia how wonderfully talented they are!! You never know.

1 Like

On Saturday’s showing, pray that Guthrie stays fit all season. Different class and will surely secure(in tandem with Alfie) safety for us.

2 Likes

I think that if starts adding a few goals to his game then we should start to get worried. He is by no means the finished article, but for someone who is only 18, and after only a dozen or so first team appearances, then his confidence and belief in his own ability is a pleasure to watch. I hope that Guthrie can keep fit and form a good partnership with Alfie because I do think that he could learn a hell of a lot from him.

1 Like

Good prospect but needs protecting , playing him week in week out could genuinely do more harm than good.

I think that it says everything about our transfer policy this year in that a previously untried 18 year old (yes, highly rated as a prospect from youth/reserve team performances) is turning out to be a mainstay and highlight of our season so far. Really sums up where we are as a club at the moment!!!

He had a poor game at Cheltenham so could understand him being taken out of the team the next week.

Resting him for a game seems to have becoming a three week absence at which point the central midfield has effortlessly morphed back into a crab like movement.

Would certainly start him in the remaining home games.

3 Likes

In my opinion Bates may develop into a decent player , but Sam Perry looks a much better prospect , which makes Clarke’s decision to bring Sheron in even more baffling .
Just looks like a unneeded obstruction of the progress of a young player .

3 Likes

There is a danger that someone else turns his head at the end of the season with the offer of regular first team football.

1 Like