All the optimism after Keates appointment has been shattered by the club during the summer

That’s beautiful Matt. Consider yourself the new UTS Poet Laureate. :star_struck:

1 Like

What exactly do you expect him to say to the press when they ask him then? If he stayed silent about the subject then again that would draw criticism

It makes you think, if Walsall have had a similar budget in the last few seasons, then the previous managers have done a dam decent job in recruiting on the whole.

I wonder if Dean has waited for the targets he’s wanted and missed out on them, which has put him in this position. There are players out there, thousands of them, but finding ones that will add to the squad and in the budget seems to be the issue. I think he’s not trying to make signings for the sake of it.

If it is that the scouting system and backroom staff are funded out of the playing budget, then this is where all the budget has gone meaning that he really has nothing left to play with and DK has clearly thought this is a priority. As for the scouting system, why has this Head scout not identified anyone? Or if he is, he’s looking at the wrong type of players. Bring Sun Tan man back!!! (he had something to do with getting the Ajax match sorted) see: PSC Tweet

As Coxy has stated the club have got a fans favourite in and then not really supported him in spending a bit more to accumulate and worrying more about breaking even again for twenty whatever year. What i don’t get is that somehow Whitney could spend a club record fee and his wages on 1 player (and recoup most of it), but this season we can’t sign competent League 1 players. Something isn’t right somewhere! DK aiming too high? Who knows???

The media team at the club really want to think what they are tweeting/posting at the moment, releasing that team photo which isn’t even done properly with a threadbare squad just adds fuel to the fire for us fans.
They release a third kit which might be used once, looks better than the other two and can’t cope with the demand for it and selling out in the most common sizes in two days. Who makes these decisions?
Programme shop gone, Saddlers club closed.

Instead of looking forward to a new season, we’re all depressed and done with the crap coming from the club.
DK has a bit of the blame in the way that he’s gone about with the transfer dealings and I can imagine he’s thought, if only i’d done…differently and is pretty much learning on the job at this level.

It goes to show how much in recent seasons we’ve been punching above our weight and Dean Smith did a really good job at the club.

2 Likes

To play devil’s advocate…imagine a scenario whereby Deeney gets a move on the last day of the transfer window and we get 3 million quid. Maybe, just maybe, Keates gets 1 million. If we are bottom of the league in January would you spend it or wait it out until next summer?

Or are we still in a world where we want to give that money straight to Bonser as a ‘buyout’??

I don’t believe a word that comes out of Bonsor’s mouth to be honest and as such can’t believe he would actually entertain a buy out. Why do that when he can milk his money out of the club for as long as he wants?

I think it would have to be a massive offer far beyond the Deeney sell on.

2 Likes

Yep. We had all this with Whitney too. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.

i agree to a point. The question for me is how much of a chance. Enough to sign a few non league players and scout? Or actually being backed.

Think that’s why there is a disagreement over how much this is on Keates.

Dean stated at the meet the Manager evening the playing budget was not used to fund the scout and that he was using him to scout opposition teams.He was going to Holland to watch Plymouth last week so how much time he has had to look for players I don’t know.

How much does a contract hit cost?

3 Likes

Probably less for Deano cos he’s short. :laughing: :wink:

1 Like

I wasn’t thinking of Deano!

1 Like

I know!

Keates has publicy stated in the media more than 10 times that signings are close, deals are about to happen. It may not be his fault, it probably isnt but his credibility is taking a battering. Why not just tell the truth. Explain to the fans what the issues are.

1 Like

Have you ever bombed your bosses in the local paper while you are still employed?

But he did say that we had been “outbid” on a couple of deals which points in one direction- ie it’s not Dean’s fault.

1 Like

absolutely spot on !:wc:

i just believe he’s trying to do it the right way round , he just feel’s you need the right foundation’s to build a good squad , and maybe felt like he needed the comfort of knowing he was supported by the guy’s he’d worked with before … just a pity the cost had to come out of the team building budget

1 Like

I think he is a little naive to be honest, and got carried away with the euphoria of local lad turned good feel good factor, coming to his hometown club, coupled with the fact we had a flying start. But he has come down to earth with a bit of a bump, and it will make him all the better manager for it :wink:

1 Like

We’re a game in hand and three points off the play offs?

Genuinely can’t believe what I’m hearing at times. He’s still pulling up trees if he’s anywhere above 20th for me

3 Likes

And for every high we have a low, it’s like being on a rollercoaster lol, and i think he will come good if his management style is anything like his playing style was, so i am still pleased with our progress up to yet, this season is a learning curve and we are still in this league come the end of the season then it’s a success for me to.

1 Like