All the optimism after Keates appointment has been shattered by the club during the summer

That’s an old link chunky mate so your comment doesn’t quite fit with what i was trying to say as a reply to Gensanx123 if you read it , but i know where you’re coming from

1 Like

Sorry mate i must have read it wrong :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: oh well at least you understood it in the end :laughing:

I’m optimistic we will stay up.

I’m optimistic Dean will make the team a bit better in the summer which means we will stay up again next year.

But. I’m pessimistic about which way we will next leave the third tier of English football and I am pessimistic about our chances of quickly returning.

Even after a promising start our crowds are relatively poor. There is a palpable feeling of going through the motions amongst our fan base despite the initial Keates bounce. An exit from the cup on Saturday and then it’s all about doing enough to stay out of trouble. The opposite of sporting excitement.

The board do a decent job but I don’t think they get the fan base and what motivates it. The owner fills his Pension Fund whilst clinging to a narrative that he has done and is doing us all a favour.

If Keates somehow, through either league exploits or an old school cup run, manages to break through the malaise he’ll have done a marvellous job.

8 Likes

This upcoming run will definitely not help the malaise around at the moment, we will probably lose tonight, probably lose on Saturday in the 1st round of the cup, with Bakadonkey inevitably scoring against us.
Followed by another appalling display at Fleetwood, then the biggest tonking of the season at home to the League Champions. The immediate future doesn’t bode well.
However, this IS Walsall, watch us actually beat Sunderland!
I too am optimistic we will stay up, but only just in the end, to halt, or indeed stall this continuous slide down the table will need some magic from somewhere.

I love a bit of optimism.

Dunno if that was aimed at me or Ancie… sorry Worsul4eva.

In my post I predict at least another two years at this level which would be seen by many as optimistic. In fact it would be seen by some inside the club as “job done” . which is telling.

1 Like

Worsul4eva. I’m not exactly confident tonight but Cov are about our level. I certainly wouldn’t say we will “probably lose”.

But predicting appalling displays and tonkings thereafter is just as ludicrous. Particularly against Fleetwood who have hardly been playing like Barcelona. It might happen but I just don’t see the grounds for predicting it confidently.

It’s the same old “humour” veiled extreme pessimism Ancient Moaner used to post. This guys seems to have taken up that mantle. Because it’s not him … obviously.

as for

I agree with them. But only because of the restrictions they themselves apply. Talk of fighting off relegation when we are three points and a game in hand off the play offs is hilariously premature.

3 Likes

As long as the club seems happy with the concept that bless 'em little Walsall has achieved with an epic effort in staying up in league one and we should all clap like ■■■■■■■ seals in appreciation, this inward un ambitious stance will carry on. Steady eddy…no risk… No upsetting the status quo…regular rent cheque. Walsall fc is on life support under its current ownership.

2 Likes

So, what happened then?
No one needs to be an expert to realise that my predictions of upcoming fixtures will end in similar woe. It hurts like hell. Many years since I was a Walsall lad banging the hoardings at the Laundry End, but even though living in Cheshire for so many years have not diminished the fact that Walsall F.C. are my life, and again it hurts like hell. Seeing My team lose so many matches and performing so badly is like a body blow to my heart. As business associates giggle behind cupped hands and offer un-sincere consolation.
I hope we win an F.A. Cup match for a change, I hope we put an effort in at Fleetwood, and I would love us to beat Sunderland, but I am a realist. Currently we are crud, no denying that fact, only hope we eventually see an improvement.
UTS!

3 Likes

Whatever people think of you mate you certainly can’t deny your passion for W.F.C :wink:

Spot on

We haven’t played cov yet? Lol

Besides you cut out the rest of the quote where I said you could be right but predicting multiple terrible performances and thrashings was the overtly negative part

And his negative outlook. That’s only reappeared now we’ve lost a couple.

Agree some negativity in my post, but come on, we have not just lost a couple of matches, we have been performing horrendously. The last couple of defeats have been crud beyond the tolerance of even the faithful 3K, if many of the ‘I’m no longer going to turn up’ posts in other threads are to be believed.
I will keep the faith, but a genuine improvement has to be found from somewhere if we are to halt the slide, and some of the upcoming fixtures don’t fill us with encouragement.
So, come on you Saddlers, lets start by beating the upstarts from the 4th Division, get into a 2nd round cup match, march to Fleetwood beat the cod army and then beat the League winners to put a spanner in the works to halt their march to the inevitable top spot.

Well said Worsul, I know where your coming from.

To be fair I wasn’t having a go at your predictions, we may well lose all of those games.

What I took issue with is the predictions of drubbings and terrible performances. Granted there have been a few tough watches lately but surely this team have earned a little more faith up to this point? Otherwise I have to beg the question, what on Earth are you expecting?

If anybody had said we’d be top half and win off the play offs in November at the start of the season you’d have had them sectioned. I think they’ve shown enough about them to earn a little more patience than writing them off in the next three games completely.

Predicting losses and predicting terrible performances aren’t the same thing.

Agree with what you are saying there, but why has the squad gone from an attack minded, aggressive, body on the line committed spirit earlier in the season, to an abysmal ‘couldn’t care less’, ‘we are going to lose anyway’ attitude form the players?
I agree with you on how wrong it is for folk to constantly blame our full backs, it is the whole team whose heads have dropped, and it aggravates us supporters to witness this poor attitude, as we all know they can, and did, do better earlier on.
IMHO Deano has meddled needlessly, and the introduction of Osbourne was a mistake, from what I have seen he is slow, awkward and prone to being the target of opposition forwards as the weak link.
Not trying to be negative, just trying to fathom why this young squad has lost it’s mojo, we appear to currently be the favourite ‘go to’ opposition for teams seeking 3 points easily, and that hurts.

3 Likes

I think the meddling was necessary. He stuck to 4-4-2 but performances had dropped. He changed to 4-3-3 for Barnsley, got a good result, reverted to 4-4-2 and we got tanked against Doncaster, Lost at home to Stanley and got a draw against Shrewsbury at home in a match that to be fair we should have won easily. We got a decent result against B Rovers away and then got absolutely tanked by Luton. A change of shape was not only fair but vital. Blame Keates all you want for the degeneration in attitude that is visibly there for all to see, but I don’t get the calls to “go back to what worked” because it had stopped working. That was the point.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I generally read oppositions fan forums before a game to get an idea of what their fans are expecting. Virtually every team has said the same thing: “Walsall are a bench mark for League one, this game will tell us more about our season” and I completely agree with them. We are the middle of the middle. I said that when we were winning and I’m saying it now we are losing. And if you’d offered that before the season I’d have bit your hand off.

2 Likes

I don’t think the tinkering of formations is the issue. The issue has been the personnel chose to play in those formations.

Agree with that…if players are off form then it doesn’t matter which system you play. It is from midfield forward a young and inexperienced team and when the key player in midfield has lost form it is no wonder we are struggling. Confidence has also become a factor which is why tomorrow is a key match. I hope that tomorrow we can regain some of our early season zest and put on a performance.