All the optimism after Keates appointment has been shattered by the club during the summer

Agree fully , his team selection has been horrendous for the past few weeks.

1 Like

He keeps trying to accommodate Osbourne and Dobson. For me you have to play one or the other and it’s always going to be Dobson.

In a 4-4-2 I’d play Kinsella and Dobson. In a 4-3-3 I’d play Dobson, Kinsella and Ronan.

We desperately need Edwards back because for me that midfield is where we’re losing games.

Yeah I wouldn’t say horrendous but I don’t get that decision at all. Osbourne has looked off the pace for some time, all the way back to Blackpool I would say.

The only other really questionable one was Devlin being dropped.

I honestly can’t understand why anyone would have Wilson in over Devlin. Bizarre.

It’s not just Keates’ starting 11’s I find strange though. His in game management is poor. He makes substitutions too late, especially when we’re in losing positions and needing to chase the game. Look against Charlton. I know he brought Kinsella on for Osbourne, but why wait so late to make an attacking change. 2-0 down at home and you wait until the 75th minute to make an attacking change. I find that poor. Why Bring Ronan on, a player who dictates a game, with 5 minutes to go? What’s he going to do in that time?

The honeymoon period is over. I am fully behind Keates but he needs to get his arse in gear and learn quickly.

Well I mean, it was over for me when we lost at home to Wimbledon and were staring relegation in the face. The fact it’s lasted longer than that for some people really does show what a good job he’s done.

But I agree Zeli Ismail and Kieron Morris where the obvious early changes and they were too late or never came. I really think he’s been scarred by the Doncaster defeat where he made an early change chasing a win and it fell apart.

1 Like

Wrexham fans said he liked to make minimal and late subs. You live and learn…

Well horrendous is a strong word I suppose, but not only is it his midfield but his selection of wingers has also been poor.

Square pegs in round holes.

As far as the wingers go I think it’s more of a case that they are all very similar to be honest rather than the wrong players in the wrong position. Ginnelly, Zeli, Morris and Gordon all blow extremely hot and cold. I personally have no preference which two of the four start because they all have no consistency. On any given day they can look like world beaters and on any given day they can all look absolutely useless.

Gordon isn’t a winger though is he?

Isn’t that just the way with nearly all wingers at this level? This won’t go down well universally, but Naughton blew hot and cold,and when he was bad ,he was awful. Likewise Dennehy.

Mark Rees anyone? :rofl:

Yep him too. Perhaps more extreme than those two. Nigh on unstoppable on form, not just anonymous, but a liability when he wasn’t.

He can play wing or striker.

Well like I said I’m not really bothered which combination of the four play because as you say that’s the way with wingers. I’m talking in the context of Keates selections.

Clearly can’t :joy:

Harsh I think he’s done alright in the bit parts he’s been given. He’ll improve too. He’s definitely a longer term plan.

He was comedy gold. If a football pitch was 200 yards long he would have been unstoppable.

He did, however, save his best ever performance for the League Cup QF at Rotherham. Without him that night we probably would never have been 90 minutes from Europe.

2 Likes

Willie was an artist. The highest of high brow protagonists of the beautiful game. I guess at times his art was abstract which some found difficult to disseminate.

1 Like