Anyone Remember?

Jumpers for goalposts :grinning:

Being able to walk down the side of the ground to get closer to the Laundry/Railway End.

6 Likes

“Warm but there not hot” - Irish lady in the pie shed behind the street end. They were never even warm

I remember one kid I knew insisted coat/jumper had to be folded into a strip to replicate the width of a goalpost!

1 Like

At Fellows Park: Late 70’s - being able to watch the 1st half on the halfway line then, during halftime, having a pee in the open toilet, then having a Bovril before walking into the railway end to watch the 2nd. half from behind the goals. That was my dads routine & we never had any bother!

At Bescot: “Ba$tard Man” who always waited for a lull in the game before shouting, “You Ba$tard Referee”.

3 Likes

@deanonev69 :rofl:

4 Likes

One more from Fellows Park: The line of snarling police Alsatians that greeted us all after the match!

2 Likes

Walking from the town to Fellows Park on midweek matches and catching the first sight of the lit floodlights.

5 Likes

Players who didn’t roll about in agony when kicked by much bigger boots than they wear today.

1 Like

The abuse the players got from the crowd was a better standard and funnier.Things like “at least you won’t need to wash your kit this week “ .

1 Like

Alan Boswell being taken to hospital in that horrible night of relegation.
The new terrace at the Laundry end when the Laundry was eventually knocked down, the Liverpool fans overfilling it and knocking down the fragile breeze block pitchside frontage wall.
The rust falling off the roof.
REAL centre forwards, REAL full backs and wingers, none of this modern day ‘new positional name’ garbage.
Colin Taylor’s goals, how we wish we had forwards that could score like him now eh?
The smell of bovril & pee, what a combo.
Proper crowds, proper support, not just boozed up yooovs.

2 Likes

Anyone Remember?..
People thinking it was ok to take a waz on the packed Hillary Street end terrace with not so much as a hand on your shoulder to warn you.

1 Like

Used to stand behind the dugouts at FP just underneath the main stand. There was a chap sat on the front row with his wife who was always immaculately turned out. If the opposition goalie ever took more than five seconds to clear the ball or take a goal kick he would shout in a very posh voice “Get a chair goalkeeper”.
Now once or twice this was quite amusing; towards the end of a game you just wanted to drag him out of his seat and ram your programme down his throat.

1 Like

When almost any injury could be fixed by a bucket of cold water and sponge.

3 Likes

The monotonous chanting of the opposition goalkeeper name, over and over again throughout the half that he would be in front of the home end. Some absolutely priceless reactions

2 Likes

Who was the little old bloke who used to stand by the players entrance at Fellows Park and give the ref and opposition verbals as they went past? The name Cyril keeps coming to mind …

Yes. Or your girlfriends arse getting a quick grope!

2 Likes

At FP I usually used to stand behind the goal (or close to) at the Hilary Street end but my dad used to stand with his mates further over towards the tunnel. He told me that there used to an oldish bloke standing nearby who took his obviously special needs adult son, a large lad who was unable to speak - but he would get quite animated waving his arms and making incoherent noises.

At one game, the lad got so incensed at some decision that the ref had made that his arms were going all over the place and the grunts got louder - so much so that his dad turned to him and sad “For god’s sake shut up!” :smile:

You called? :rofl:

How about from the mid 1990’s - half time penalty shoot outs and the colossus that was Sumo!

1 Like