Anyone Remember?

Talking of snow, I think it was the season after our aforementioned exploits at Stoke City and Norwich, we played non league Leytonstone at their place in the first round. The pitch was not so much completely snowbound but like a ice hockey rink. We went onto the pitch after the game (walking over was the quickest way to the exit!) and it was almost impossible to stay upright. God only knows how they played on it.

That was the same season, btw, that we went to Liverpool for the famous fog-bound replay. A game that has gone down in folk law on Merseyside, for the bush telegraph chants between the Kop and the Anfield Road end.

These were wonderful days to be a Saddler. Great, great memories. It’s such a pity that our recent years have been lived as a club with no great ambition, just going through the motions, doing just enough to keep our head above water (and pay the rent!).

Are you reminiscing about replays or us being in the 4th round? :rofl:

Are you sure he’s that old? :smile:

The days before match of the day and star soccer,the only football was the cup final and a few seconds of 1 match on the national news,I remember finding out the cup match at Fulham was on as I had missed the early news my parents let me stay up to watch the late and so Johnny Haynes graced fp in the replay.
The following year it was man City the game was put off so many times .we had season tickets and we went to the ground to get ours and they had not got them they had been sent to Manchester my dad was not pleased and wrote Ernie Wilson a stinging letter we got a reply and tickets elsewhere .when the match was played we noticed our seats were not being used.

1 Like

An F A Cup replay under lights is surely one of the joys of being a true football fan, and allowing the Champions League Clubs to whittle away at replays (with the intention of getting rid altogether) has weakened the game, in my opinion.

Imagine if there had never been replays and us not being able to reminisce about beating ManUre on that Tuesday night, or the 8-4 with Torquay, or beating PNE 4-0, or knocking Vale out a couple of times in the 80s after draws, or even that bostin’ game with Wrexham in '93. Could soon be consigned to the history books, I fear, and future generations of Saddlers will be robbed of the chance for some of the memories we have.

7 Likes

Was the Fulham cup match in the early 60.s as I was took to that by my dads mates from the New Fullbrook .

Was this on a Pathe newsreel at the local fleapit? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry if already mentioned but remember racing back to the coaches at away games for the full time results and “singing” along to the Sports Report music?

2 Likes

Sports Report made waiting to get off the Bezla car park bearable.

3 Likes

I was at Leytonstone too. Did Nick Athey score a rare goal that day?

I did not go to the Anfield game referred to (where Tommy Watson scored twice) but I was at the 0-0 draw at Fellows Park, when the Street end wall collapsed. In those days, supporters were not segregated and the crush was awful. Of course, the wall collapsed at the other end years later, also against Liverpool.

One of my favourite cup games was the 6-3 against Swansea. 3-1 up, then 3-3 before we took off. And there was Willie Naughton’s hat-trick in the 7-3 win against Preston.

2 Likes

Willie Naughton - what a cracking player

5 Likes

Any one remember Johnny jarvis? just spoke to mrs chunk and she couldn’t remember it, i used to love watching it.

Absolutely. I loved that man. Possibly the most skilful player I ever saw play for us (and I’d include Romaine and Ozthumer in that). If he had any pace at all he could have played at the very highest level. My daughters middle name owes itself to Willies birthplace.

1 Like

The aftermath of the Street End wall collapse in Feb 1968.

Just look at that photo, which to be fair, probably is an unsafe situation, then think about the level of social distancing in force now.

We are governed by lunatics.

4 Likes

Pretty sure that was the hong kong flu year as well which killed around 80 000 in England alone.

It was also the year when we started the experiment with British Standard Time. It was dark going to school in the mornings, but presumably a lot more Saturday matches could have been played without floodlights in the Autumn and Winter. I think it was probably the end of 1968 when it took effect, rather than when that game was being played.

1 Like

I was at Anfield for the Milk Cup semi. I was only 12. What a game, what a night. Can remember all of it. Can almost smell it.

I remember getting out of school, my dad picked me up & hammering it up the M6, a couple of Saddlers coaches pulled up on the hard shoulder with lines of fans having a ■■■■. Brilliant.

The kop clapped us off the pitch.

1 Like

Then went and put bricks through the coach windows.

6 Likes

Did they