Anyone Remember?

I heard he was ‘well looked after’ by idolising Rovers fans. Probably hardly ever had to pay.

1 Like

Can anyone imagine the thought of this film appearing on TV these days?
The PC brigade, LGBT, BAME, would be fainting in horror at the very thought!

1 Like

I would have thought that climate activists would be having kittens with all the farting well :grin:

Yep. He was Concrete Boots a long time before we signed Concrete Boots. Turning circle of a tanker and as slow as an arthritic sloth, but he could get his head on a cross.

1975 Fulham manager Alec Stock on The Big Match Revisited. Definitely the inspiration for Paul Whitehouse’s football manager (“jumpers for goalposts”).

Seems too much of a gentle bloke to have been a football manager.

There’s been a bit of a positive response to BBC4 repeating The Joy Of Painting from the 80s over the last few months. I do remember it from when it was on originally, but the art programme that I was more a fan of was the earlier Paint Along With Nancy - anyone remember that?

1 Like

I would like to ask a question…I seem to remember Luton, the Hatters, ALWAYS played in white shirts, black shorts. Does anyone know when and why they reverted to Reddish shirts?

I seem remember Walsall used to play attractive, flowing football and trying to keep the ball on the floor. Does anyone remember exactly when we reverted to the rubbish we watch week in, week out now?

2 Likes

Where are you getting this information from? This is their home shirt.

Apologies, having checked t’interweb it appears they do play at home in what looks a red/orange strip. I can only assume this started this season

This will help

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Luton_Town/Luton_Town.htm

1 Like

Blimey they changed 10 years ago.

How have I not known this :disappointed_relieved:

image and of course our very own Mini Preece played for the Hatters with distinction

4 Likes

And won the League Cup with them, I’m fairly sure I watched it live on the T.V., and a bostin’ game it was too.
I always think of them as having orange shirts because they had them in the 70s for a few seasons, and that’s fixed in my mind, but they’ve mostly worn white.
I think the first time I saw us play them was late 90s, maybe 96-97. John Hodge used to look world class against Luton for some reason, he loved playing them. :grin:
Anyone else remember going to Luton in the midst of the petrol crisis in 2000? I managed to fill up on the Monday night, so was able to drive down next day.

1 Like

seem to remember they had orange shirts with a single black and white vertical stripe down one side in the 70s - quite often on Star Soccer with Hugh Johns for some reason - just about the midlands I suppose. Some bostin players in those days - Ricky Hill, Brian Stein, Brian Horton…

I remember going to Luton in the petrol crisis, but then I only live 11 miles away from Luton! I still drove at 56 mph to conserve fuel though. I think that was the 3-0 win in the AWS second round, 5 Jan 1999. We won 3-0. Sir Ray came into the Oak Road stand before the match and had a chat with us fans to thank us for coming to support the Saddlers during a petrol crisis. I remember him saying he was ‘playing the young lad Brissett’ from the start.

The petrol crisis was definitely September 2000, I think it was a 0-0 draw. We were probably top of the league at the time, and had been scoring for fun. Someone please explain to the youngsters what “top of the league” and “scoring for fun” mean. :joy:
I can remember nothing of the game except maybe that Tony Barras went off injured.
On the way back I filled up at Watford Gap, no queue or anything, which was a result. It was all over by the weekend.

Eric Morecambe suggested the orange shirts when he was a Director, he thought the traditional white and black was boring.

1 Like

You are right - and it wasn’t Brissett he was talking about, it was Byfield. My memory not what it used to be. So the petrol protest started 8 September and the match was played on 12 September. Petrol at 80p per litre. Wish it was still that price now! So for a short while home fans of all teams would chant ‘What a waste of petrol’ to away fans if the home team was winning.

1 Like

if you had heeded the profound words of our great benefactor, sage and No 1 fan you would have been well versed in the likes of Luton, Roverum and Bournmuff and known this

1 Like

It’s not the Ray who worked at beeches video later is it? Lol he used to wail the kids with a stick be locked up now :rofl:

1 Like