Barrie Blower RIP

People of Walsall and Football fans of walsall will forever be thankful that Barrie Blower stood up for the Town… and made a gargantuan difference.

2 Likes

Now if you had the pic of us outside FA HQ that would be great !!
All donned in “tea cozy” ski hats and silk flat caps (they were awful) !!!

7 Likes

Kitty at the front. The bloke on the right who seems to be lighting a fag was called Bernie -something. Went in the Red Lion . Had a bit of a reputation as a drinker ,to put it mildly.

Went with Barry on the coach to Newcastle in 86. We protested outside a country hotel where there was an FA meeting. Somehow,Barry got in the meeting and collared Bert Millichip. Millichip tried to wash his hands of it,saying it was an FL matter,until Barry put it to him that, if Wheldon could be shown to be bringing the game into disrepute, it was very much an FA matter. Millichip agreed, but it wasn’t needed because Wheldon sold soon after.

Behind the amiable bear exterior was a very sharp mind.

2 Likes

Barrie Blower was a true Walsall man, both for the town and club, which were totally as one in his mind. This is the kind of thinking that is so lacking in the club and the town today.

I like Pedagogue’s comment. I’m really hoping there is ‘The Secret Diary of Barrie Blower, Aged 73 3/4’ hiding somewhere in his affairs.

2 Likes

Doris Webster next to Kitty, Tony Duffield far right and looks like John Eyres at the back with spectacles.

I’m surprised I don’t recognise more. Some would have gone to Newcastle,but I just can’t remember them after 30 years.

Strangely,I’ve now got an idea, that Bernie actually died in the Red Lion. Collapsed ill outside and got carried in.

For years my uncle would tell us about the exploits of this " Bernard" he knew but I who I hadn’t then met. Then,around this time, a friend on an unemployed retraining scheme started talking about the antics of a “Bernie” on the same scheme. I don’t know how or when I realised,but turned out they were one and the same person.

His work in the eighties was monumental.

SWAG and keeping us in Walsall vital.

Finding Ramsden and persuading him to invest gave us a chance to dream.

As Pedagogue suggests, what happened after that with the whole Leeds consortium and move to Bescot is a bit of a mystery.

But what we do know is that it was all done with the best of intent for Walsall. Both the football club and the town.

A giant of a man.

Rest in Peace Barrie.

1 Like

Maybe they could use Barry’s passing as a catalyst for todays game.Do it for Bazza!

2 Likes