Behind closed doors for the whole of next season!

Technically you are correct, however, it is not the case with all clubs on our league which would therefore make it a non starter. Div 4 football is also not considered to be a priority in the grand scheme of things. Can’t see the season finishing tbh.

1 Like

Don’t let them set the narrative. Challenge them everywhere.

Well if you look at our League it could be a starter if Clubs were willing to limit their capacities accordingly. Surely some revenue is better than none at all!!!

It’s not just about seating arrangements though, it’s about queuing for entry and exit and toilets for instance. Social distancing will make all of that take longer. Then there is travel to and from games by public transport, etc. I really can’t see crowds even at our level this year.

1 Like

It is not their call though. Other parts of the hospitality could argue the same but until the government allow mass gatherings to recommence, it is for the birds.

As for revenue, the club has already had the revenue from season ticket holders and if all games are shown on ifollow then it could make up part of the shortfall given the minimal costs involved in playing behind closed doors. Also we now get zero income from Saturday away games whereby ifollow could generate a decent few quid when say compared with 50:50 draws.

I agree its not their call but unless we start coming out of this lockdown soon the damage not just to football but the economy and social wellbeing will be irreparable. I agree that it is likely that mass gatherings indoors will not happen for a while but we are told by the scientists that the virus is not nearly so harmful outdoors so with simple measures in place outdoor events could and in my should be allowed.

I accept all that but we have to get the country moving again soon and outdoor sport could be part of that.

I have an image in my head of us sat in the Banks’s, with at least one spare seat either side and immediately behind and in front of us, so we are staggered in some kind of “diamond formation”, all wearing WFC issued face masks and gloves and then trying to hold back the natural inclination to hug/jump in unison with our mates as a goal is scored. :grinning:

2 Likes

I suppose it could be argued that football is both an indoor and outdoor event due to the configuration of stadia.
Given the evidence from Cheltenham and Anfield, it seems to me that we are a fair while from mass spectator sports being back to normal.

There is an easy solution to that. Just resign Gaffney.

2 Likes

:laughing: Maybe re-sign Ashley Grimes too for guaranteed goal fest at the Banks’s.

2 Likes

I guess that it will be mandatory that players cannot encroach within 2 metres of another player, so it will probably be much the same as watching our defence last year.

2 Likes

Why is it ok to have footballers in close contact with each other but not rest of society? Football should be played with fans in the ground or not at all. If it means binning next season off then so be it

I don’t think our gates with the limits I suggest called be called “mass” gatherings. Anyway what happens is out of our control. I know I am in a minority at the moment in wanting to get things moving again but that will change as the redundancies pile up, unemployment rises, health outcomes plummet and our country plunges into a debt crisis. I am just glad I am not a government minister having to grapple with all of this.

1 Like

I’m definitely with you on getting things working again. All these people on an extended jolly clogging up the seafront and shopping during the day. Boozers, barbers and restaurants closed, Saturday not meaning sport, golf courses closed and can’t get into Spain til I don’t know when.

This ay what I thought early retirement was going to be like. :smile:

2 Likes

That’s brilliant. I go for a wander over my local course maybe three times a week, and it’s lovely. Three courses of 18 holes plus a pitch and putt, lots of ponds and pools and trees, superb views, what a waste to use it for golf, it should be a nature reserve with picnic areas and a small part of it could be turned into allotments. I hope it never re-opens for golf. :laughing:

3 Likes

There was a vicar on the radio suggesting something similar, if a bit less extreme. Had a bit less going for it when you realise that the C of E have registered nearly all their land under an obscure legal clause to make it harder to secure rights of way over it.