Bennett

Hope MF can persuade him value of playing week in and week out for his development. He is obviously destined for bigger things but is still learning. Hope he decides to carry on learning here for a while yet

Unfortunately, Bennett won’t have a say in it if Cambridge decides they want him back.

Hopefully, we have a contingency plan…I laughed. You never know things may have changed, we live in hope.

Liam Gordon was equally as good on Saturday and is probably better defensively.

Be a real loss if he goes back in January, I have been really impressed with lad. Been a solid loan signing, shame it wasn’t permanent.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to see him leave in January, but if he were to, I don’t think he’d be as hard to replace as some think.

Would love him to stay as he’s become a fans favorite, deservedly so. It’s really up to Cambridge, and Bennett where his future is. If he’s comfortable here and his parent club agrees we should definitely sign him.

Hopefully Riley will be fit by the time Bennett is recalled. Didn’t he play fullback for Carlisle?

1 Like

One of the night home games we played I think it was Northampton, I didn’t go because I was unwell. He was doing a Commentary on Ifollow. He said then that he had played wingback for Carlisle last season.

I’m not sure when we will see him fit though. I haven’t heard any definite time scale but everything I have read so far hasn’t sounded all that positive. Has he had the surgery yet?

I have been impressed with Bennett but I wouldn’t break the bank to sign him in January. Cambridge will be delighted with his loan so far but he is also attracting interest from other clubs. In fact, two League One clubs were watching him against Rochdale last week.

Does anyone know the situation with Cambridge’s current right back/ wing back?

Could Cambridge recall him in January and loan him to a non competitive League One side with next season in mind?

According to my mate who is a big Carlisle fan, he played predominantly as a right wing back (which was considered to be his best position).

There is little or no chance of Bennett signing for Walsall. He’s under contract at a league 1 club and right now that’s probably as good as it will get for him. If he gets in Cambridges team and shines then it’s their problem to look after him but at this stage of his career and with another year on his contract he’s no way dropping down to league 2.

Realistically we may need to be a more wary of interest in one or two other players we have signed as Walsall players. Maddox, Hutchinson and Allen are all only on one year contracts and if things continue the way of the last 4 weeks we may have a problem hanging on to them for next season.

1 Like

We have options if he’s recalled? Gordon Bennett!

1 Like

Agreed, we should get those three nailed down now on our terms.

Agree about Maddox and Hutchinson if they continue this form but really not so fussed about Allen.

Gordon, although probably still some way off full match fitness, already seems a significant upgrade on Allen IMO, which is not surprising as they were signed as Gordon first choice with Allen as back up.

3 Likes

Allan started the season looking promising and I suppose has done a job but has recently showed his frailties and looks to me no more than a squad player. Not even sure what his best position is tbh he is neither a defender or midfielder and not great as wingback.

I thought Hutchinson’s contract also gave a I year extension option in the Club’s favour. However I do think we should be looking at contract extensions soon.

Yes Riley would be the ideal replacement IF fit otherwise we will need another player.