Best and Worst Game

Best game- toss up between Man Utd in the cup with Boli’s goal or promotion at Bury in 95 (I think that was the season!)

Worst game- Wembley by a country mile!

This is hard. Loads of top days and loads, if not more ■■■■ ones.

For me personally the best ones are either big significant games we won - Cardiff and Bristol City play-offs come to mind as do the semi-finals - especially the Stoke one at home - or the games when there aren’t many of us but it feels like it is the right people in the right place at the right time. Example A would be when Wayne Clarke scored some very late goals to beat Bury in a 4-3 thriller one non-descript fourth division Tuesday night. There was hardly anyone left on the Gilbert Alsop terrace as we trailed by two goals. So when the winner went in there was a lot of room for us all to flail about like drunk dolphins, hugging, dancing and knowing we were that two thousand people who had had a number of years of guff and were now being rewarded. I think it was the season before when Jason Lillis got two second half goals away at Wigan. My god we’d been bad that season but again, there we were, the three hundred on a non descript Fourth Division night in Wigan - where we never get anything.

The semi at Preston was ace. The highlight of that run to Wembley. Again, it felt like the right 850 people getting their reward on a horrible night.

Wembley was rubbish but I’ll give it a pass as the worst because Walsall, 30,000 fans, Wembley was like a dream.

The worst - The Rotherham game at Fellows Park. Sad night. Hollow nothingness to say goodbye to something so precious. And with 30 years of hindsight an absolutely disastrous move. Nothing that has happened on the pitch has ever been so disappointing.

3 Likes

Worst Wembley under Smith awful performance in such a big game.Best Bury away in 95 or the millenium stadium vs Reading.

1 Like

Best and worst performances (not necessarily best and worst games) for me were within a few weeks of each other. Worst was 8-1 defeat at Bolton in September 1983, best was 2-1 win at Arsenal in November the same year. We have always been wildly inconsistent!

1 Like

You actually saw an away win at Wigan. Now I’m jealous… :wink:

1 Like

Best: Bristol in the play off. Lost but won the penalty shoot out.
Worst. Bristol at Wembley.

Genuinely can’t understand people saying Wembley as our worst ever game. Bristol City were an exceptional side for League One level, and were right in the middle of a run where they were sweeping every team aside.

My worst would have to be either getting relegated at Shrewsbury last season, or losing 4-0 at Rochdale a couple of months into Whitney’s reign when it became apparent how far we’d fallen behind the curve in one summer.

Best would have to be split between the Millenium Stadium play-off win and Preston games. The Gillingham home game and the 4-3 win at Forest in 15/16 also deserve mentions.

4 Likes

Sorry - I didn’t make it clear. The two Lillis goals were to merely grab a draw having been two goals down.

I still have yet to see us win at Wigan. Must be close to 10 games I’ve seen there.

2 Likes

I was there - Lillis bounded over at the second goal and gave about 10 avid fans a free sample of his generously applied hair-gel as we ruffled the mane of some kind of football god!

1 Like

Best - many have been mentioned, so I’ll go for: a largely meaningless 2-1 league home win vs Scunthorpe United early 90s. 1-0 down in the second half and the game looked to be drifting away, but a small knot of us behind the goal in the standing Gilbert just starting singing and wouldn’t shut up. It may be wishful thinking, but the players seemed to respond and leveled it at 1-1 with about 10 minutes left. Then the entire home end really got behind the team, visibly raising them while Scunthorpe flagged. The second goal seemed almost inevitable for everyone in the ground, greeted with appropriately raucous celebrations!

Special mention for the 4-3 comeback away at Rotherham during which Buckran ran the midfield.

Worst: Crewe at home with Brain in goal, gifting them the winner at the end. Watford at home during the 88-89 season, sensing that we really, really needed to score but simply couldn’t, and would never again. Many of the turgid Broadhurst efforts - quite simply dull beyond words.

First game of the season? 3-2 wasn’t it. “Robins, Robins what’s the score” over and over as the little turd walked off wishing the ground would swallow him. :joy: One of my best times as a Saddler. :grinning: :smiley: :smile:

1 Like

4-2, 4-3, 3-2 it could have been any of 'em! :rofl:

It was sweet sweet sweet whatever the score. :laughing:

1 Like

Jorge’s debut. Super Brett Angell. In my top 3 I’d say.

Surprised Sheff Weds on Boxing day 2011 hasn’t been mentioned, not often you win a big game with two injury time goals.

6 Likes

Brighton away win with 9 men was up there as one of the more SURPRISING wins :smiley:

3 Likes

Our best effort under Jimmy Mullen for sure. Maybe he should have tried playing with 9 men more often, 'cos it didn’t seem to work that well with 11. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Wasn’t it 2 penalties from Robbins I know one of them was taken 3 times as each saved one I jumped up and my new phone skittled across the floor

1 Like

That was fantastic especially after all the stone island boys had run on the pitch near the corner giving it large

1 Like

He scored with a penalty (handball against Tom Bennett after he had been shoved and the ball struck his hand as he tried to keep his balance) which he was allowed to take again after Jimmy saved it. Was he allowed to take it three times? Maybe, let’s face it, that little turd probably would need three attempts to succeed. I think his second goal was a one on one just after half time iirc.

I know he did that ear cupping thing to our lot behind the goal after scoring - well, we made sure the obnoxious dicksplatt heard us loud and clear at the end and he walked off with his head down.

1 Like