Best Centre Halfs to play for us

Stan Bennett, Ian Roper Scott Dann----the list goes on!

My hero, Andy Butler.

1 Like

Vivash, Forbes ,Mountfield ,Bennett ,Gerrard (at his best), Dann, Butler and many more .
Makes you realise exactly where we are currently .
Hopefully the revival starts today

Roper :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

It does say best , not most liked

2 Likes

Graeme Forbes, for his first season.

2 Likes

In my time watching us, my favourites would be; Barras, Roper, Ritchie, Dann and Butler.

1 Like

From my early days… Albert MacPherson (probably the best of the lot)but many others spring to mind including Stan Jones,Stan Bennett,Graeme Forbes,Peter Hart,Tony Barras,Adrian Viveash,Scott Dann,Andy Butler.We have also had many others who did a job in good times and bad such as Dave Serella,Ricky Sbragia,Kenny Hill ,Dave Robinson etc.

4 Likes

Yes, Roper :heart:

1 Like

In my time I’d say: Colin Methaven, Stuart Ryder, Adrian Viveash, Paul Richie, Scott Dann, Andy Butler.

All relative I suppose at the level we played at during their time with us.

Greame forbes that man knew how to leap and head a ball…

3 Likes

Just has to be Graham Forbes,brilliant header of the ball,(in both boxes),he would never let a striker turn with the ball,and he often used to nip in front of the striker and nick the ball off him.Also Adrian Viveash was a good centre half,he used knock those 50-60yd balls straight to the winger.

1 Like

I always thought Colin Brazier was very under rated

1 Like

Good plumber apparently :stuck_out_tongue:

Roger Hynd was good un, not many knocked him about.

A magnificent 7:…

Graeme Forbes
Peter Hart
Dean Smith
Scott Dann
Adrian Viveash
Ian Roper
Andy Butler

1 Like

Forbes
Viveash
Roper
Dann
Ritchie
Butler

How about poacher turned gamekeeper, Big Steve Baines?

2 Likes

Big Stan Jones…an absolute tower in the defence in front of goalie Big Bob Wesson

We’ve had some cracking centre backs over the years I’ve been watching, but Adey Viveash and Andy Butler take some beating. Not necessarily just on skill (which they had), but also fight, grit, determination and effort. Seeing Andy Butler celebrating with us when we avoided relegation at Southampton sticks on my mind.

3 Likes