Best of our own

Plus 19 England caps.

Walsall played Leeds in a friendly just before the European Cup final. Leeds used all their first team - Clarke, Bremner and the rest.

Allan Clarke also played in the first game I saw at Fellows Park in 1966.

1 Like

Apparently made his debut in the 70 World Cup. Don’t remember that friendly at all. Presumably it was sometime in mid-May, after the last league matches.

Edit. Was it someone’s testimonial game?

Clarke, with an honourable mention for Bert Williams.

Was it Nick Athey’s testimonial? If so my abiding memory was of Bernie Wright flattening Terry Yorath and Yorath being subbed before he was sent off. Mind you, looking for retribution on Bernie wouldn’t have been the wisest thing.

That 83/84 had an abundance of home grown players. Caswell, Mower, Shakespeare, Preece and Rees. Absolute stalwarts and oh so talented.

Garnished with talent from local non-League like O’Kelly and Green.

Sprinkled with experience from our near neighbours like Brazier and Brown.

Great side.

7 Likes

Drooling at that @P.T :wink:

3 Likes

Another home-grown who’s career was cut way too short before they got to fulfill their destiny was Don Penn.

This may have been posted before but more happy memories of a previous stint in the basement. Class of 79

4 Likes

Similar to Don Penn, the player in my picture Stuart Ryder.
Selected for England U21s for the Toulon tournament, talk of a move to then Premier League Leeds United until Steve Hayward snapped his leg in two

2 Likes

Peter Hart was a great pro and servant to the club.solid league I centre half When I first started watching the saddlers. Think he was a vicar. Not sure if he came through the ranks though?.

1 Like

We bought him from Huddersfield (part of the team that pipped us to the title in 79/80) if my memory serves me right.

2 Likes

Impending European cup final or not…Bernie soon sorted Yorath out , who immediately walked off whilst making “nutter” gestures towards Mr.B.Wright lol.

What did it say on the tin then?:joy:

1 Like

Ian Paul has already gone,so I’ll say Alan Birch.

PS Forgot to confirm - yes, his Holiness Peter Hart is now a reverend. And the club chaplain in fact.

1 Like

PPS His usual partner in crime as center back when he joined us was Steve Baines - the only footballer to go on and have a career as a ref.

Head it and kick it

1 Like

But never with his instep!! :rofl:

one of my mates at work was best mates with him, cus he came from pelsall, and my nephews football team brownhills colts asked him to do a presentation at the comp, so i told my mate if he turned up i would kill him :joy:,

1 Like

Another couple we produced who weren’t too shabby - I Predict A Fryatt, and Ned Kelly (although he was already an Albion, and Alvechurch, reject before he joined our yoof setup).

1 Like

well if you are including them then Sawyers and Bradshaw have got to have a shout :wink: