Best Walsall game ever

I won’t mention the obvious as they will be at the top of everyone’s lists but one not so obvious great game for me was Rotherham v Walsall at Millmoor. Think it was our first game back in Division 2 under Sir Ray. We went 2-0 down and everyone thought ah ■■■■ we ain’t going back up this time and then a second half comeback like no other with Brett Angell scoring a brace.

That away end went up when we scored the third.

I do hope we have good days again.

10 Likes

has to be the 4 v 4 Watford game , we just refused to lose , and that was a bloody talented Watford side with both Barnes and Blisset at their best amongst others

5 Likes

Has to be 4-1 against Albion as I wasn’t in Cardiff and wasn’t born for the milk cup run.

1 Like

Good day that one Mark robbins had to take his penalty 3 times I think they went on to be a surprise team that season. Dropped my new mobile phone about 3 times that day jumping around

1 Like

The 2 games against Man City that season were amongst the highlights of big struggle. The home game I think was Andy Savilles debut scored twice Rimmer got the other and They had an outfield player in goal who played a blinder

1 Like

Newcastle, Man Utd, Liverpool, and Reading and Sjoke games from 2001, and the other obvious ones.
My favourite might be the 3-2 over Rotherham, and the stick we gave Robins at the end. If someone had thrown him a shovel he’d have dug a hole and crawled in.

Anyone else remember Walsall 5 Swindon 0 from October 1981? They were top we were second and we played some brilliant, exciting football and tore them apart, although Ronnie Green made a couple of great saves and I think they hit the woodwork at least twice. At the end of the season Swindon were relegated and we stopped up by finishing one place above them. At the time we knew it was a crucial win - we just didn’t realise why. :smile:

The Gillingham game from 2015, I think they were top and we leapfrogged them by winning, that’s probably my favourite in recent years. .

Went 2 down then levelled it up and then that late goal Wonderful the noise was incredible

I played golf with Ronnie Whelan today. He was over playing in our local society. I asked him if he remembered our semi final In 84 as I said it was one of the major highlights in my 50 years of watching Walsall. He then recalled it like it was last week and was really complimentary about us. I know he scored all their four goals over the two legs but his recollection of the game and the collapsing wall was quite staggering.
As he said, the league cup was a big deal in those days.

5 Likes

What a treat that would have been for you…he was a very good player.

1 Like

I remember singing Gipo to Bradley Dack in that game went 2-0 down to his penalty after half an hour then Morris and Lalkovic equalised before half time if I remember rightly cracking game though

1 Like

Many games to chose from but it has to be Cardiff for me, but special mention to the home game v Stoke in the semis. Never forget Kavanagh giving it the big un in front of the Gilbert Alsop and then we smoshed them :smile:

4 Likes

I remember prior to kick off at Stoke the announcer talking about possible travel arrangements for the final

Always remember ‘that’ picky of (Nick Atthey was it?) in the pink’un pointing at the hole in the side netting that got them a goal disallowed!

@Worsul4eva It was captain John Harris who carried out the repairs

@Worsul4eva Players lining up to complain to the ref…

From left to right - Frank Gregg, John Harris, Nick Atthey, Terry Carling and Graham Sissons.

Good game that was

Demetriou last minute - I was on the pitch. Cracker

2 Likes

A Saddlers follower for over 60 years I thought I should add a few other games to the obvious ones of the semi-final at Anfield, the Millennium Stadium and the 4-1 home win over the Baggies.

1961, the away match at the Gay Meadow with !9,000 inside the ground and a few thousand Walsall supporters outside that we won 2-1 and gained promotion to the old Division 2.

Later that year our first home match in Division 2 with 18,000 inside Fellows Park and beating Sunderland (Brian Clough included) 4-2 with a Tony Richards Hat-trick

A match we lost at the Hawthorns in 1965 in the second round of the League Cup which was an absolute cracker with a unsegregated crowd of 41,000 (including a very large and loud Walsall contingent) and a Walsall forward line including George Kirby, Alan Clarke and Colin Taylor. Taylor scored for us and if I remember Jeff Astle got at least one for the Albion.

1971 and the 3-0 victory over Aston Villa in the old Division 3 with Geoff Morris getting a brace.

Going back to the Milk Cup campaign in 1983/4. I was privileged to be at Highbury for the 2-1 win. I still have the VHS. I was also at Rotherham for the excellent 4-2 victory when Mark Rees had an outstanding game with two of the goals, one of the others came from Richard O’Kelly

12 Likes

Golfing with the stars.
Reference to “Our Society”
Meetings with Oliver Letwin.

If I shook your hand would it feel “different”? :wink:

1 Like

Depends, might feel a bit sweaty at times :smile:

PS Dennis Taylor is playing with us next week

1 Like