Best Walsall Team in 2000s

Russell Martin for Picken then.

And one of the West’s for RB? (Weston, Westlake or Westwood)

2 Likes

With Westcarr too I sometimes wondered if there’s a bet by Walsall to sign as many Wests as possible.

We could have then been called WestSide (groan)

1 Like

We’ve never had a Fred West but we have had a Killer …

3 Likes

Being very lazy, how about the team that slaughtered the bagladies on that Glorious August day? Take Smith over Dingle Lee as manager though. Merscum and Samways were the two most technically gifted players I’ve seen play for us in 45 years of pain.

How about Chris Palmer? :joy:

1 Like

Blimey, poor Rhys Weston. We’ve had worse than him.

3 Likes

Are you confusing him with Charlie Palmer (and his barmy corners)?

If we are looking for worst players of the 2000s got to be some of the many many players Merson signed. That many I can’t remember half of them.

3 Likes

No, definitely Chris Palmer under Mullen. I’d actually like to put forward Mark Wright when Merson played him at RB

Joe Broad is one absolutely awful good in training though Merson said

Walker
Demetriou
Aranalde
Butler
Ritchie
Matias
O’Connor
Samways
Paterson
Jorge
Junior

The man the myth the Makris

1 Like

I agree - Gino Padula (‘he’s my baby…’) was the best left back I’ve seen at Walsall by a country mile. Didn’t even play a full season for us but still won Player of the Season.

2 Likes

Controversially I would go Etheridge above Walker. Two great ‘keepers to choose from but on their performances this millennium alone I think Etheridge wins out.

1 Like

This would be the side I would choose. Really loved Gary O’Neill and he would be the only one I might want to include but I might procrastinate for ever on who he’d replace :blush:

It was between him and Samways, Samways just edged it.

1 Like

Agree, Samways was class. Always looked to have time on the ball, and looked up to pick a pass whilst pressing forward. Glad I saw him play in our colours.

1 Like

Walker
Demetriou
Dann
Carbon/Ritchie
Henry
O’Connor
Samways
Patterson
Pedro
Deeney
Jorge

Scott Dann, who some of us have selected, opened the scoring against Dirty Leeds today.

1 Like

Mark Wright played a few games at right back if I remember right :thinking:

2 Likes