Best/worst team of the failure years

Hi bit of fun
just curious what people best and worst team would be made only of players from the Walsall failure years . Starting the summer after dean smith left 2016
Could we get a team from that bunch that would have made us nice and safe in league 1 and what team would be instant relegation to the non league?

We had a team that was nice and safe in league one, the season after smith left.

Best

Rushworth

Devlin
McCarthy
Guthrie
Pring

Kinsella
Edwards

Ginnelly
Oztumer
Tyler Roberts

Cook

With the right manager, that could easily be a mid table league one team.

1 Like

Rico did start the following season after Deano left so technically he fits the criteria. Him or Pring?

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking that. I’d have Etheridge and J O’C in there aswell in that scenario.

1 Like

Just re read and it is FROM 2016 onwards :man_facepalming:

Rico only just sneaks in, right? He was gone by the September wasn’t he?

Yes - sold on transfer deadline day (31st August that year?)

Played the first game of the season against AFC Wimbledon, then dislocated his shoulder away at Oldham

Cook 100% has to be the main striker in that period.

Worst

Osadebe

Osadebe Osadebe Osadebe Osadebe

Osadebe Osadebe

Osadebe Osadebe Osadebe

Osadebe

He’s that bad he deserves a team to himself :joy:

5 Likes

Gillespie

Kinsella - Wilson - Guthrie - Leahy

Cuvelier - Chambers - Edwards

Oztumer

Bakayoko - Roberts

A team good enough to win 3-0 at Doncaster in 2016/17 and to have us more than comfortably in mid table. Indeed, by 10th March 2017, we were in 8th position with a 13-13-10 record and only a couple of wins off the play-offs.

You’ve got your seasons mixed up there Shrops. That 3-0 win at Donny was 17/18.

Was it? Ah well, same argument - we had a perfectly decent mid-league one team back then. Some cracking players in there.

Anyway, thanks for pointing it out.

Watch it and weep for those days when we had classy players and a team with togetherness. Yes Oztumer, but also watch Edwards, and great work by Bakayoko for the 3rd.

A proper decent Walsall team

Which was declining badly in the second half of the season.

In all seriousness for worst

Dunn

Martin - Ward - Mills

Makris - Liddle - Guthrie - Osadebe - Osei Yaw

Gaffney - Shaibu

1 Like

The Joe Edwards injury was a massive part of that. He was such an important player. He’s subsequently shown at Plymouth just how good a player he is, and he was in top form for us when he got the injury.

1 Like

Makris :joy::joy::joy: that transfer was as dodgy as prince Andrew

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with that. I loved how Edwards could play anywhere from right back, left wing back, central midfield or even in one of the attacking midfield roles and still be effective.

1 Like

Dunn (from Wrexham)

CCM
J.Clarke*
Mills

Ismail
Guthrie
Liddle
Moussa

N’Goy
Shaibu
Osei - Yaw

Subs - Osbourne, Hardy, Bielek, Nolan, Jackson, C Taylor, (have no idea how many subs are used in today’s game anymore!)

*Controversial, I know. But in his first season I think, there was a spell where every other game or so, we’d be conceading silly goals and they’d often be attributed to him. I think he hit little form patched towards the back end of seasons, so perhaps gets remembered more fondly. But to my memory, both him and Mr Viking were quite dissapointing additions after the initial excitement of a solid spine to the team.