Bob Wesson R.I.P

Another great Saddler has passed away - Bob Wesson. Fine keeper on our books from 1966-1973. R.I.P.

4 Likes

Before my time, however it’s always sad to read of the passing of a former Saddler.

R.I.P. Bob

1 Like

Sad news. He was my first Walsall goalkeeper.
He ran a few pubs, I think one was The Merry Hill in Wolverhampton, but I might be misremembering which pub it was, and another was The Hare and Hounds on the A5 between Pickmere Island and Telford.
RIP Bob.

2 Likes

My first goalie too. I was only 9 when I first saw him and I didn’t understand why him and Colin Harrison weren’t playing for England!
I seem to remember meeting him in the early 80’s when he was landlord of The Feathers in Lichfield, but my mind might be playing tricks on me.
RIP Bob.

4 Likes

RIP Bob.

Mine too. At the end of his Walsall career so can’t recall that much about him compared with his replacements, Wallington and Kearns.

Condolences to his family. Hope the club do something in recognition.

2 Likes

My first keeper too RIP Bob

3 Likes

He was my first goalie too.

3 Likes

R.i.p bob

Yes - and my first goalkeeper as well.
Rest in Peace Bob.

1 Like

Loved Bob. A keeper with character - had fantastic games and awful ones but somehow you were always on his side. Thank you for all the good times Bob.

We’ve had some really good keepers over the years, Bob was my first as a Walsall fan and one of the better ones.
RIP, Bob. Fond memories.

2 Likes

RIP Bob …a decent keeper who apparently was signed by Ron Harrison who had been to some “do” where the Coventry Chairman had persuaded him to take Wesson off his hands !! He replaced the popular Terry Carling which didn’t go down too well with some fans. He didn’t get off to the best start by making a number of errors but later became well liked by the majority of fans.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Bob Wesson R.I.P:

Wesson Greg Evans Atthey Jones Bennett… seemed to be the first names on the team sheet season after season in the late 60’s/early 70’s. Made an effective defensive unit most of the time, shut out Liverpool (at home) and if not for Jimmy Greaves may have shut out Spurs. Great memories of Bob and that steely defence

1 Like

I seem to remember one against (I think) Darlington, where their right back hit an aimless ball from the halfway line, and Bob fell over coming out to collect it and it bobbled over him into the net. We lost 1-0 and my ten year old self was not amused. But as you say he did get better.

His first away game was a six - two defeat against Oldham and I thought what have we got here, but as you say he became a good servant to us rip Bob.

RIP Bob, I think he took over from Terry Carling if my memory serves me, good keeper,and of course if you stood behind the goal you could hear the keeper shouting his instructions so you felt that you knew him better than the other players.

1 Like

Thanks for that memory . I recall that now. He did get better though .

1 Like

I had forgotten that was his first game . I was there on a dismal rainy day . Not the greatest start for a new Keeper.

1 Like

It’s Oldham though - the coldest ground in the country. I’ve been there many times and it is usually freezing. I can’t imagine that Bob enjoyed that game one little bit.

1 Like