Bob Wesson R.I.P

I can remember Ken Hodgkinson scoring one of our goals but not the other.

I thought both our goals were penalties scored by Frank Gregg. Actually having just checked in the records Gregg scored a penalty and the other goal was scored by Alan Baker. Memories !!

1 Like

Bob was my first keeper also, clearly many of us are in the same age bracket. RIP Bob

1 Like

Remember Bob as a good keeper . He played in that “Fog” match in the FA Cup at Liverpool when we lost the replay 5 - 2 after the 0 - 0 draw at Fellows Park. The fog was so bad that the Kop end had to chant who had scored… Tommy Whatson got both of the saddlers goals. Liverpool Team included all of there great players at the time like Tommy Smith ,Emlyn Hughes , Ian St John and England’s World Cup winner Roger Hunt… So no shame on Bob or Walsall for the score line. The ref was my all time favourite M Fussey . He was a character , once at Fellows Park remember him running into the wall the back of the goal at the laundry end , happy days RIP Bob a great servant to the saddlers.

3 Likes

The Liverpool team that foggy night was Lawrence, Lawler, Strong, Smith, Yeats, Hughes, Callaghan, Hunt, Hateley, St.John, Thompson. A couple weeks earlier they had played at Goodison in the League with exactly the same line-up. Unlikely that would happen in this years F A Cup.

Our team, for those interested, Wesson, Gregg, Harris, Simpson, Bennett, Atthey, Watson, Baker, (Derek) Clarke, Jackson, Taylor; and Meath replaced Baker at some point.

I was at the match down at Fellows park in fact today by chance came across the ticket stub for the game. Five shillings to get in .Might put it on ebay …might make a profit turn 5 bob into £5. LOL.

1 Like

Carling was my first did Wesson take over from him.This was when players were not just for one season.

1 Like

I started with Boswell, then Tennant, Ball, Carlling,Wesson.

One man shouldn’t be missed out in that time Colin Harrison, I think he played everywhere in his time.

3 Likes

@clawtheolder Correct. Played in all 10 outfield positions and when he was reserve team manager he went in goal! Still see him walking around Norton Canes now and then still fit.

5 Likes

Bob was my first goalie and I loved him for both that and the fact he used to serve me draft sherry when i was well underage. At the time he ran the offy in Bloxwich!

1 Like

@NewportSaddlersDad Yes Bob signed in October 1966 and took over from Terry Carling. After 6 games Bob was left out and Terry took his place. Keith Ball then took over for the final 16 games of that season. Keith was the first choice until the October of 67-8 before Bob kept his place until Phil Parkes rapidly emerged and took over for the last few games. Phil was first choice for 69-70 and it wasn’t till Phil moved to QPR that Bob was really first choice in his own right, playing in all 50 first team games of 70-1. Mark Wallington stepped in when Bob was injured in 71-2 for 11 league games and a few cup ties. 72-3 season was Bob’s last, got injured mid season and 6 other keepers were drafted in to cover him including Keith Ball who came out of retirement for two games.

1 Like

Was he dropped or injured? He’d kept four clean sheets in his first six games, so harsh to drop him.

Before my time but was he POTS? I think I remember that from somewhere.

And John Osborne who smoked a fag one time when we were attacking. And Ian Turner who came back a few years later as a permanent signing. And Glen Johnson, Jim Inger and Dennis Peacock to complete the seven and exercise my memory a bit.

4 Likes

Reading this thread makes you realise that UTS is the internet’s version of gods waiting room :smile:

4 Likes

@JumboTrudgeon See if I can find out re if he was dropped or injured after those 6 games. POTS for 68-9 yes. You have the names of the five to go with Wesson and Ball yes.

1 Like

Bob on signing day

11 Likes

Is that John Westmancoat?

Think Ernie Wilson on left?

1 Like

Looks like Bob has just been asked how it feels to finally get the deal over the line.

Another cracking photo @Fellows1926 btw :+1:

4 Likes

fellows park 1926 colin at 76 years old would have got into last seasons side

1 Like