Bob Wesson R.I.P

@jonny99 agree!!

The difficulty would have been deciding which of his many positions to play him in.

1 Like

I donā€™t agree,I think his fitness level would have started to deteriorate now,maybe as a 75th minute impact sub he would be fine.

I have possibly mentioned it before on another thread, that I remember Bob being featured in a ā€œBeat The Goalieā€ attraction at Bloxwich Carnival in King Georgeā€™s fifty odd years ago.

3 Likes

Googling Bob Wesson to read the obituaries, I found that Coventry fans thought highly of him before he came to us. He broke a leg, which is an unusual injury for a keeper.

But I also came across the Coventry City Former Players Association, Bob had been a member of. Do the Saddlers have anything similar? Itā€™s a nice idea.

1 Like

I suppose he was up against Bill Glazier and probably wasnā€™t going to be playing that often.
Bill Glazier also suffered a broken leg, must have been common at Coventry.

Fifty years ago, so my memory was probably wrongā€¦

@ Bernie I will see if I can find out

@Bernie just checked with someone who knew him really well - Stan Bennett - who says that comment is totally untrue. Bob was never in dispute with WFC.

3 Likes

Thanks for that.

1 Like

Though I do remember Stan and Bob having a fight on the pitch once!

Hadnā€™t realised heā€™d moved over to Lichfield later in life
https://lichfieldlive.co.uk/2022/09/09/daughter-confirms-death-of-former-goalkeeper-who-became-publican-in-lichfield-after-retiring-from-football/

@JumboTrudgeon No mention in the following programme nor in newspaper reports as to if Bob was injured or dropped for the game against Bristol Rovers or Colchester. however he was dropped on 11th March v. Watford , A newspaper report says he was replaced by Keith Ball with Wesson being ā€˜out of formā€™ I think he was asked to be listed a couple of times during his time with us.

1 Like

I wondered about him being left out after six games, heā€™d kept a clean sheet in his first three games and in four of his first six.
You mention he was dropped in March and he hadnā€™t kept a clean sheet for quite a while by then, and Keith Ball kept him out until the last game of the season.
Keepers are judged by different standards of course, outfield players can make several mistakes in a game, but the poor old custodian is expected to make none, and will often pay the price when any are made.
Anyhow, cheers for the info.

1 Like

I was a 7-year old who was sitting on the perimeter wall at the Hillary Street end when it collapsed after the Liverpool fans surged forward - times donā€™t change!! I ended up being on the front page of the Evening Mail - still got the photo. So proud of the lads that day and a year later against Spurs. I wish we could get cup ties these days like those two!!

1 Like

Hi Saddlertd. Also whished we could draw teams like Liverpool & Spurs but we need to get into the third round to do thatā€¦ As a side I did place my ticket vs Liverpool on ebay and did get my Ā£5 so I did get a Resultā€¦ UTS.

1 Like

I donā€™t collect anything, and Iā€™m totally baffled as to why anybody would want to collect an old ticket stub.
Still, well done for getting a fiver for bit of old tat. :smile: