Bolton and Bury

The only thing growing at Gigg Lane in the next few years will be a housing development.

In a pub watching the Jocks get hammered and just noticed, from a Sky schedule on the wall, that yesterday’s TV game was suppose to be Bolton vs Bury. Bet the Trotters fans are whinging about it being pulled …

Talking of Scotland

13 Likes

It’s now looking like Bury will be re-instated into league 2 next year.
That means 2 clubs will be relegated from League 2.

Save Bury FC
@SaveBuryFC_

Positive meeting was held seeking permission for readmission to League 2 from August 2020. We will keep you updated. #BuryFC

10:33 PM ¡ Sep 9, 2019¡Twitter for iPhone

But surely if they are going to be re admitted it should be in a lower league?

Proves once and for all that the EFL are totally spineless. Bury should be ejected, and the Conference would refuse to accept them, so they’d start way down where they belong. How is a relegation an appropriate punishment for cheating and defrauding businesses and players?

2 Likes

Just leaves the door open for other clubs to take the gamble on over spending and not being able to pay their debts like Bury …:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

It depends on how the other 71 EFL clubs view it. You’d expect AFC Wimbledon who had to start again from scratch (through the fault of the EFL, being ineffective, rather than any financial wrong doing), and any other club who has been disadvantaged by sticking to the rules at the expense of others who have flouted them, would be in favour of a tough punishment. But the likes of Bolton, Southend, Macclesfield, Coventry, Leeds, Portsmouth, Luton, Rotherham, Plymouth, etc, etc, who are in “but for the grace of God, there go I” territory will obviously be willing to be more lenient to set a precedent in case they ever need it themselves.

How many whiter than white clubs are left compared to the chancers who have managed to get away with it (so far)? How will our club vote?

2 Likes

That’s the problem in a nutshell. The WFL have done nothing for so long dirty clubs outweigh genuine ones.

Disgraceful if this happens, it’s only what would have happened anyway had they been allowed to continue, and the message it sends is one of doing what you want, and worst case you’ll just end up in League 2.

Bet if it was us, then we’d been currently awaiting what level of the Unibond League we’ll be in, as we don’t have the Nevilles spouting off in the media on our behalf.

1 Like

Its ridiculous , I hope the EFL clubs will vote against this, it will only penalize another club who have done nothing wrong. Bury should be in Step 7 plain and simple , being allowed back in at Step 5 was a bonus for them anyway. Question I have is surely the Bury FC that js in liquidation wont exist by the time next year roles around, they wont have a ground , someone would need to buy them and show proof of funds to the EFL ~ unless a miracle happens any reelection back into the EFL is moot.

1 Like

My understanding is that as things stand the Ltd company still exists, If they are offered a place in the league next season subject to a satisfactory takeover, then there would be nothing to stop a takeover so long as the debts are settled. That of course would be ludicrous given that they were only in League One thanks to cheating their way to a promotion, not to mention all the other precedents of clubs having to re-start in non-league, many at the very bottom of the pyramid.
Regarding the ground there is a sports and recreation covenant on it, so it has limited development potential, and presumabley whatever dodgy loan was secured upon it would be settled as part of the takeover should one occur.

1 Like

Personally, I’m a bit sorry that the “big” club has been saved and the “small” club has been kicked out. I don’t think either should have been saved, personally. But, it appears, you can’t argue with money (well, we all know that): if it appears, you’re OK, no matter what you did.

1 Like

And you’ll find the " little " club will manage to worm it’s way back , and only “ONE” division lower than when it ■■■■ on every other club in their league …
Punishment doesn’t fit the crime for me , non league minimum or opens the door for every other club to over spend , and take the ■■■■ .

2 Likes

For younger listeners,this little old club survived being kicked out the league for being crap seven times , due to the "old pals act "

2 Likes

that may be but we didnt cheat financially , we were just pretty bad at the game of Association Football

4 Likes

How did the re-election to the league work?

Was it simply just a straight vote between the clubs, as to whether the best non-league side ‘deserved’ to replace the bottom Football League club?

The bottom 4 from division 4 (or bottom 2 from each of division 3 (S) and (N) had to face re-election. Before the early 1980s anyone could apply regardless of their position in the league. Often there were 10 - 20 applicants so the votes were spread around. Some teams applied almost every year and barely got a single vote. Others got close a few times. The other league clubs had 4 votes each and voted for the 4 teams they wanted to be in the league. Non-league clubs were rarely elected as clubs felt there-but-for-the-grace-of-god go we. Non league clubs got their act together in the late 70s and started nominating only one club for promotion, but clubs still wouldn’t vote for them. In 1986 automatic promotion finally came in.

If anyone is interested I have the full results of every election somewhere I can dig out.

1 Like

We were re-elected about seven times I think, and the outstanding attraction for keeping Walsall in the Football League was our attendance figures at the time. Back in the 1950’s we were averaging something like 12,000 for our home gates, and the visiting club took a percentage of that…

4 Likes

Pretty much agree with that assessment of the old re-election process, but I do have an additional.observation.

One of the factors that swung who the league clubs voted to keep/replace was relative following and thus expected gate receipts. We survived the process a few times but we (and/or others) were voted out on occasion if there was a team everyone else thought would generate a better pay day when they played them (home and away used to share once upon a time).

I know some people have lamented the drop off in our average attendance but even at our peak, which was at a time of generally higher attendances everywhere, we were down towards the bottom end overall hence why we sometimes didn’t survive the vote.

2 Likes