Brendan Kiernan - Article BBC Sport

On the midweek EFL On Quest programme last night, after showing the goal at Vale and as Kiernan was doing his call BK celebration, the voiceover guy said something like “that’s Kiernan probably on the phone to his agent”, which couldn’t have been much more wrong. :man_facepalming:

That would have been a very apt point to raise a bit more awareness, rather than trot out an odd view of a League 2 player’s reaction to scoring a good goal.

Shame, as the Quest pundits usually do their research on teams they have a little chat about, which obviously doesn’t extend to the voiceovers as they seem intent on shoe-horning in as many puns as possible on a random subject when showing the goals from some of the games.

3 Likes

They’ll fit in well here.

I’ve noticed the Quest match clips are laced with puns too.

Can forgive the cringey puns as the Quest programme is excellent and has really brought Football League coverage forward. Light years ahead of that horrendous Manish Bhasin/Steve Claridge vehicle that was screened after midnight and filmed in the dungeon room from Hostel.

2 Likes

Got to say I disagree…. Although Claridge could do one!

I think the Quest coverage is sound.

Lower league football is a minority interest and as such belongs on a channel for those with a minority interest.

Plenty of broadcasters have miscalculated previously, most notoriously ITV who thought that the world beneath the premier league would interest a wide audience.

It doesn’t and it never will. There’s a nerdy quality to those who are interested in a late Crawley equaliser at Carlisle. It is of minority interest.

So coming on somewhere between that Welsh fella and his mate who buy tat that isn’t tat and sell it on and Australian border patroller types is about right. I actually love that it overlaps with Match of The Day by half an hour. It’s a kind of dare - do you really like lower league football or will you scuttle off to listen to Alan Shearer describe the blindingly obvious?

3 Likes

I haven’t watched football league show for year’s I didn’t even know it was still on . There used to be a show called Jumper’s for goalposts on some strange regional channel made in Birmingham or something that was hilarious they genuinely used to use camera phone footage to show goals at random places like Romulus vs Barwell it actually had football league guests on as well now and again people like Martin O Conner and Darren Wrack even though they’d stopped playing 10 years before :rofl:

https://twitter.com/wfcofficial/status/1493555690622783490?s=21

Following on from the BBC article I reached out to Brendan to discuss potential working opportunities with Kaleidoscope as I Chair the Board of Directors. Both myself and Monica, our CEO, held a couple of meetings with Brendan and were blown away with his desire to support people’s mental health.

I’ve encountered people in the past and at times it can feel a bit of a tick box exercise to say I’ve done something. I can categorically say this is not the case with Brendan and whilst he will act as an ambassador for us, we will be providing knowledge and support to help Brendan with his future aspirations outside of football. He has already attended a couple of events and I know he is keen to learn.

A throughly nice guy who just wants to support people and make a difference. Whatever your opinion of his footballing ability, I hope we can all acknowledge this as a positive thing, especially in footballing circles where the issue of mental health is often hidden and effects many, ranging from young adults released and having their dreams dashed, right through to those retiring and trying to deal with life after football.

39 Likes

Average footballer , sensational human being. I know which is more important

11 Likes

I was thinking that, then i thought, but we signed him as a footballer :grin: :wink:

1 Like

Great to see players who are a real credit to the club off the pitch, still think we’re yet to see the best of him on it.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kiernan_brendan/status/1524789330824282112?s=21&t=-vHtB7vwXs0ZTnDwPeteKA

For anyone with kids who may be interested :+1:t2:

6 Likes

This guy proves just how awesome he is as a person
We pay to see goals , flair, football brilliance and don’t appreciate a man who potentially saves lives
As a community family club we are lucky to have him
The unappreciated heroes

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/kaleidoscope_pg/status/1531372792624697345?s=21&t=IaA-HcxBV5IVc5tZqW_aFA

If anyone is in need of support please see above :+1:t2:

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/kaleidoscope_pg/status/1539281008511549441?s=21&t=xCzIaLUoxoYhkx9GvW6ASA

Building on Brendan becoming an Ambassador it was great to be able to finally announce this yesterday. Hopefully another step in the right direction for mental health support :+1:t2:

6 Likes

Stumbled across this on LinkedIn, as I said in a previous post, Brendan wasn’t ticking a box in his desire to work and support in the area of mental health. I believe this qualification requires you to do 100+ hours of counselling as well, so it takes time. Congratulations to Brendan :clap:

39 Likes