Brian Dutton

But not that. He was at fault for 4/5 goals sort of Christmas time into January - I think Darrell had enough.

I do actually think he’s better than White - but I don’t thats saying too much.

As I’ve said before - the fact Norman looks an ok player in this side isn’t great, given it’s not been very good - and is a mid table league two side.

He’s too slow and not good enough defensively to play right back in a promotion chasing team, and not quick or skilful enough to play wide right too - also answering @Scooby2167 here.

2 Likes

Ye agree, I think his lack of pace is a major issue. Once he’s beat he’s beat, and like you say I remember the run of games where he was continuously targeted.

Reminds me of when people suggested Leahy should play left wing, neither have the pace to do so.

1 Like

Which ones? I missed em.

You’ve slated him all season, even when playing well. Got to say at least you are consistent.

1 Like

I read the game and see things you clearly don’t see :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Haha indeed you must!

I could turn it around and say what evidence is there that he is good defensively?

We were woeful defensively when we got relegated - and have had a woeful defence for the last 18 months in league two. Norman has been part of that defensive shambles.

He’s just not good enough at the back - get rid in the summer.

I thought he’d got one in him mate I’m sure people were slating him at right back at some stage,anyway my last word on the issue is he has improved a bit over recent times probably would keep him as a squad player but that’s just me.

1 Like

Only a few days ago the general opinion was that we just needed to be more organised, this would be the blue print to get us out of the league. Now the emphasis is on playing a different type of football win or lose.

It confuses me as to what people actually want.

You could, because I asked a direct question you don’t want to answer. He played 2 games between xmas through Jan. We conceded 4 (so he’d have done well to be at fault for 5) and I can’t remember him being fault for every single one so I just asked which ones? I never claimed he was brilliant defensively and that’s the difference. You are asking me to clarify something I never said.

As you say, must be watching different games :man_shrugging:

Isn’t that the same thing? Implementing a style and being more organised which will take time to do? Made it pretty clear I don’t see us getting out of this league so I’d rather concentrate on that.

Which ironically is exactly what I asked for under Clarke, even if some people did then accuse me of just expecting us to win the league, weirdly.

I myself cant quite remember those mistakes either by Norman. Hes by no means the greatest of defenders but easily top 4/5 players for player of the season. Bates is generally the player to ■■■■ up the most but thats an age developement issue. Plus he is trying things.The vast majority of the players have made major ■■■■ ups to gift easy goals. Watch White and he is a major liability at right back.

On another issue Pomlet has a damn cheek asking for the play offs at this stage.

2 Likes

Not a hope in hell of keeping him, if DC doesn’t snap him up, then Salford will, in their effort to get into the Championship !
Can’t think of any other player in our squad that other teams might be interested in when they are released in summer, it could be hard for most of them to find employment…well done Darrell.

Not really you can be organised and play long ball? You can be equally as organised but play football.

I actually think DC was good at organising the team, the problem was the players crap.

And before you say it? Yes that’s his fault :wink:

Totally agreed. The play off comment is asking for trouble considering events.

That’s not what I’m going to say, I’m going to ask how we can possibly be organised when changing personnel and system seemingly at random?

I’m not sure I ever said you can’t be organised and play long ball football.

Because his philosophy was that those players should be good enough to change, it really is basics in football.

But again the players he tried to do it with couldn’t pull it off, again that was his fault.

Even in non league, teams change formation 2/3 times a game.

Can’t disagree with that mate just clutching at straws as regards keeping him I guess because deep down I know he will move somewhere else isn’t that a sad thing that we all know…

I think there’s something about Norman. I know he’s struggled defensively a fair bit, but his improvement this season has been quite dramatic, especially considering his attacking output where at times he’s been our ‘best’ outlet.

One other thing worth noting, despite him being 25 he only played 7 games in EFL before joining us and is yet to reach 50 league appearances for us. I’d be more than inclined to give him another season to continue his development.

He seems like one of those players that with the correct coaching and instructions could become a perfectly effective lower league full back.

1 Like

It’s like saying to the milky bar kid “go on son,you can kick the s••t out of that cage fighter”…:grinning:

2 Likes

Kinsella, Scarr and Roberts have made more errors than Norman

4 Likes