Burton Albion (H) Nov 3rd, 3pm

Ferrier is a really good player imo. Yes he’s now showing inconsistancy in his game (again he came from non league so to be expected) but he has the tools to play a league higher like all the recent Walsall strikers.

There’s a real conundrum at the moment with regards to Ferrier. There’s no doubt that he’s our biggest threat when he’s on song, but when he’s not getting the rub of the green he shows a poor attitude and doesn’t contribute anything. Against Wycombe he beat his man a couple of times very early on and grew in confidence from there. He made some poor decisions when it came to the end product but the fact that he was willing to run at his man every time he got the ball drove Wycombe backwards.

Compare it to Saturday, their right back got the better of him on a couple of occasions early on and he seemed to hide for the majority of the first half. We only really saw any joy when he made himself available for the ball over the top into the channel, but that was when we switched to 442, with Ronan shoehorned in on the left.

If we continue to persist with the 433, then it wouldn’t be inconceivable for Keates to consider dropping Ferrier and playing someone more suited (Ginnelly or Zeli) to the left hand side of the front three. If anything to give him a bit of a kick to find the initial spark he had in the first few games of the season

No different to Paterson in his early years. Guy was even getting stick on here in first half of 12/13 when he was playing well.

I just really like him tbh, mobile, can finish off a chance, enthusastic. These are all qualities Vardy had coming out of non league of course (not saying he’s going to have even half his career). Probably the type of forward I prefer watching more than a targetman like Cook. Again someone who’s posted a decent strike rate but other times he’s been comfortably marked out of the game.

We got away with some poor defending in the first 20 minutes against Wycombe though. The difference for me was we were much better at the other end than on Saturday.

I like Ferrier too and I do not mind your Jamie Vardy comparison. But he is not a winger because selecting the right option does not seem to be one of his strengths. He looked hard to defend in the first few matches of the season when he was partnered with Cook, he was playing off the shoulder of the last defender and he was playing on instinct. I want to see more goals like the one he scored against Gillingham at Banks’s Stadium.

Granted but we grew into the game and were easily “ahead on points” by the end of it.

Agreed

I thought the defending was better second half actually even though we conceded twice.

We do give some daft penaties away.

Well put Simon! It’s as if he has headphones on at times and is out of tune with the pace of league one hare em scare em midfield dogs of war (ironically, like Keates)