Bury 25 years ago today

The greatest 0-0 draw in the history of football took place 25 years ago today and ensured us promotion after 5 seasons in the Division Of Death And Decay.
Apart from the score and being ridiculously happy I can’t remember much about the match. I know it was an incredibly hot day, we made a huge amount of noise behind the goal from well before the kick off (that night could be the earliest I have ever been in a football ground) and Bury were a hoofball team who kept lofting the ball into the box and Jimmy dealt with everything.
At work a couple of days later I stuck a picture from the newspaper on the notice board of the team in the dressing room celebrating the win. I expected it to stay up there for an hour or two and get ripped down - it was up there for months and months, well into the following season.
We stopped at a services on the way back and it was full of Happy Saddlers.

5 Likes

Remember that night well. Singing ‘We’ll meet again’ close to 50th anniversary of VE day was spine tingling. The ball boy catching the ball on the pitch as Marshy was chasing a pass down the wing, Wacka saving a 25 yarder free kick near the end. Pitch invasion. It was a warm muggy night. Driving back to the motorway sounding th car horn through the streets of Bury.Back late in Walsall then having to be up next day at 5am to drive back to Hertfordshire for child care duty from 7 am. I was shattered, unlike my 2 year old daughter. Then waiting for results the next day to make sure Chesterfield hadn’t won 14-0. Interstingly on May 4 following year Bury won promotion at Gigg Lane.

Yes what a night that was! Ultimately commemorated by the heavens sending us our first born on the same date a few years later. Amazing full on support before during and after the game. Will we ever packed into a space like that ever again? :pensive:

23 YEARS!!! Omg :older_man:

I remember driving to the game and once I left the motorway all along the road every pub had loads of saddlers outside in their colours singing. A fantastic build up!
I don’t remember much about the actual match itself but I was singing all the way home!

1 Like

Yes a great night…the save by Jimmy is the one thing I remember from the game!

1 Like

Yes, I remember doing that as well. Sorry, people of Bury.
The ball-boy incident though, is something I have no memory of at all. A few people have mentioned it over the years and obviously it is the sort of incident everyone would remember - everyone but me, that is. :roll_eyes: :smile:

Phenomenal night. Can’t believe it is that long ago. Pre mobile phone so I had a bit of a polava getting there on the then newish Manchester tram system and meeting up with folk.

1 Like

God that long made me laugh in the pub before the game the landlord said dont come in after the game why we moaned Ive got no beer left :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Plus how the hell I got over the fence at the end of the game I’ll never know :rofl:

3 Likes

I think it was Chris Marsh chasing a ball down the right wing when the over enthusiastic young ball boy caught it before it crossed the line. I do remember things getting a bit tense late on but I truly believe the support that night was a huge help to the team.

3 Likes

I remember getting stuck on top of the fence trying to get on the pitch

2 Likes

what a night - incredible atmosphere

2 Likes

I have vague memories of the game and as @79walsall has already said how the ■■■■ did I get over that fence to get on the pitch.
An experience I will never forget.

2 Likes

Yes that was an experience getting over that fence … twisted my ankle and was in agony whilst celebrating :weary::joy:

1 Like

Woke up the next morning feeling rather jaded to go to work and thought it would be a good idea to wear the same Saddlers T-Shirt I had on the night before, to continue the celebration.
It was only when I got to work that I realised how sweat and beer stained it was.
Not really appropriate attire for the office, but what the hell!! It was a great night.

3 Likes

That Wacka save

3 Likes

I just remember lots of us crammed into a small, low roofed stand, which allowed us to generate deafening noise for the duration if the match. Then relief, absolute relief at the final whistle.

3 Likes

It was a very nervy match and we created nothing of note. Bury didn’t create much either, to be fair, apart from the late free kick, saved by Jimmy leaping like a salmon through the air!

I got chucked out after about half an hour because the copper asked me why I had doubted my fag on the floor when there was so much ripped up newspaper floating about. I went to a pub to wait for my mates and it was like the shake hands scene from Boys from the Black stuff. Everybody was saying to me “talk to me” just so they could cop the accent. Couldn’t watch the game or get a drink, not the best away game I have ever been to :unamused:

As a footnote Bury went on an amazing run after that season.

Stan Ternet took over there in October 1995 and got them up in 3rd place. They then went as champions of division two the next year (their 98/99) and then played two seasons in division one.

Ironically Neil Warnock relegated them on final day of 98/99 season. They went down on GD (again sound familiar?!) and that started their slow descent into financial abyss.

Edit: It wasn’t GD as Bury’s was actually better than Port Vale (another rivak having their greatest era) but football league used goals scored for some reason that year.