Calvin Andrew

He’s scored 45 goals in 459 matches, according to Wiki. If he’s the answer, then what the hell is the question?

1 Like

Probably who would you rather have Osei Yaw or Calvin Andrew.

5 Likes

Someone better than either?

I have a basis.

There’s 10 games left and were 9 points ahead of Grimsby ( Southend won’t catch us only Grimsby imo) last 10 games we’ve managed 4 points and Grimsby have managed 10 so going on form points ratio we would stay up by 3 points. Obv means nothing and risky but it’s a basis on form. We need 4 draws mini

He’d have improved us no end, and I couldn’t believe it when I saw Barrow had signed him.

Firstly, it would give us at the very least another option upfront.

Second, it would give us a target man. We play awful hoofball to two of the poorest players at holding up the ball I’ve ever seen in Lavery and Gordon.

Thirdly, it would’ve sent a message to the fans that we aren’t happy with performances and we’re trying desperately to improve matters.

I’d also like to add that this is just another glaring example of where we’re at financially - which is my major worry. Andrew wont have been on megabucks, I mean, it’s Barrow FFS - we’re talking a few hundred a week. Not a long contract either - I’m guessing it is til the end of this season?

IF we can’t afford that, which I’m presuming we can’t because we didn’t, then what is it exactly that we can afford?

Then I look at who played the 2nd half for us yesterday - Derick Osei Yaw.

Andrew has over 150 league starts, and over 200 league sub appearances, scoring 30 odd goals in the process. Not brilliant, but Yaw on the other hand: 2 league starts and 9 subs appearances.

I mean - if anyone wants a clear as day example of where we are financially this is it. In dire need of a forward, we plump for someone with less league starts than Coronavirus tiers.

3 Likes

My worry is that his availability wouldn’t even be on our radar.

3 Likes

Why would it be?

Our recruitment policy seems to be any players available for nothing that live in the M40 corridor and can get themselves to Stratford for a lift to Bescot every day.

You sound like our Chairman! :joy:

Regarding possible signings for the summer @SaddlerHQ, Northern Ireland have just called up a striker from the league of Ireland who is 23, has scored 10 in the last 15 and is looking to get a move into the English leagues in the summer.

With Maik Taylor amongst our extensive backroom staff, maybe we can steal a march on our competitors, since we can virtually guarantee him first team football and the number 9 jersey. The only issue? His name’s Lavery…

Personally, it’s not quite the Chambers twins but it always confuses opposition defenders at set pieces with two strikers with the same name!

1 Like

These are stats that our 5 goals in the last 11 games team can only dream of!

I’ll tell you right now what will be the difference Saturday a certain James Hanson just like Mullin was for Cambridge.The problem is we don’t have a striker that you know as a fan will pop up with a goal,we sold the last one a few weeks ago.Mark my words Hanson will be a real handful Saturday and will be the difference.

1 Like

When we were talking, a few weeks ago, about finding a striker who was unattached and available I went on this transfer-site thingy. I put in a few filters to make it a realistic proposition and the only name that came up was Calvin Andrew.

Wish I’d said something now…or at least emailed the club.

Would of been a presence up top until the end of the season

Hanson has popped up with one goal in 16 games this season so his strike rate is worse than Gordon and Lavery. Those stats indicate he has been pap this season.

He has scored 6 goals in 8 games played against us in his career. Therefore watch him smash a hat Rick against us on Saturday! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Our strikers couldn’t even smash a hat rack! :wink: @WeYamTheMods

Sad when you know isn’t it mate I just seem to remember we had them at home at some stage and he was a nightmare to handle.

Even their cats laugh at them

1 Like

Would Andrew really have improved things? The systems we play (whatever they are - I haven’t got a clue) will inevitably result in slim pickings for our strikers, who get little or nor service whatsoever from a confused and confusing midfield.

Things, which were bad enough under Badgeman, have deteriorated that much over the past 9 games that people would be slagging off Adebayo, if he were still here.

Dutton is the problem.

I don’t know whether it’s already been mentioned, but I have just seen that Newport signed Joe Ledley last week.

Another example of a club trying to improve their chances in these days where we can’t/choose not to.

Southend were so desperate that they signed Nile Ranger a few weeks ago…who literally lasted all of 10 minutes.