Chairman difference

I just want something to make me feel positive about my club again . LP should be looking back at that day at Northampton a chance missed by the Club for inspiration as to what can be achieved .

1 Like

I have no issue with the integrity of our Chairman/Owner. In fact I believe he is as desperate as the rest of our fans to make this club successful. Trouble is, he doesnā€™t have the financial clout of the Shanahans at P.Vale, so thereā€™s no point comparing the two clubs, and their respective ambitions.
Somehow, Leigh has to reconnect us all - players, fans and staff, and whatever we might desire, he canā€™t throw millions at it, so we need to trust him to steer the club in the right direction. If that means BD is kept as manager, then so be it. I personally hope that any savings from not replacing him go into the pot for potential signings.
I suspect that we may be given some clarity next week, but donā€™t expect major change, or youā€™ll likely be massively disappointed.

6 Likes

Yes. JB at the top during the pandemic would have been an absolute disaster.

1 Like

Leigh pomlett been an absolute disaster too so I donā€™t see the difference. Itā€™s been a total shambles. Least weā€™ll remember derek forever more

I think some people, including Leigh apparently, are missing what the problem actually is.

None of the other people in key executive positions in the club have changed - the same ones who have been doing such a fantastic job for the last 15+ years both operationally and on the football side. Same unaccountable Bonser apologists with the same lack of ideas who probably came embedded into Leighā€™s deal to buy the club. It wonā€™t change with the same people there.

All this ā€˜did Leigh go to X game?ā€™ stuff is a bit pointless, he obviously cares. But you donā€™t need diehard, never-miss-a-game-home-or-away loyalty to run a football club, you need business acumen and judgement. Unfortunately, so far itā€™s these elements that are proving the most troublesome for me, rather than whether or not he travelled to every away game in 1991 or whatever.

8 Likes

Pomlett has a lot to answer for. Imagine if this had happened under Bonser, our EFL status risked and looking more precarious as the weeks pass just to give someone he thinks is a bloody nice bloke a crack at it which resulted in 3 wins in 20?

Itā€™s been pretty disastrous from him so far and I see very little difference to the decision making as before.

We can talk about Covid all we like, but Cambridge, Cheltenham and Morecambe have done very well out of it. It is no excuse to finishing this badly, to keep giving him chance after chance, to not plan the departure of Adebayo when it was obvious for weeks that heā€™d likely be going.

He has to do better as chairman, the odd YouTube video will only escape him of criticism from the few who still see him as some kind of saviour for so long.

6 Likes

What frustrates the life out of me is the depression thatā€™s descended over our club, and fans are so disillusioned that they purport to not care any more, which couldnā€™t be further from the truth, but itā€™s the only way they can cope with the reality of the situation. I cringed when I read how excited Darrel Clarke is about moving on the ā€˜dead woodā€™ at Vale, and his plans for a promotion push next season. For godā€™s sake Leigh, give us something to get similarly excited about, as all this silence at wfc is deafening! We may have a small fan base, but there are thousands of us who desperately want to have something to cling to. Youā€™d be amazed how that fan connection could reignite an interest in the club. Itā€™s all there, waiting for you to kick it off!

It is common knowledge that JB wanted to offload the club for a long time. However due to the financial structure of the club, which he cunningly arranged to meet his own personal greed, the club was not an attractive prospect for an outside investor. No one wanted it. No rich Arab sheikh, no Chinese businessmen, no Russian oligarch, no self-made dot.com local boy multi millionaire. No one!!

No one except LP. Why would he spend Ā£1 million of his own money, which he may never see again, on something that no other bugger in the world would touch with a barge pole? Heā€™s unlikely to make money from it- if he was other investors with more funds would have beaten him to it years ago.
Heā€™s invested because he is a fan and wants the best for the club. Iā€™m at the front of the queue to question his decision making, but I think itā€™s overstepping the mark to question his integrity.

13 Likes

This, a thousand times this.

1 Like

Cambridge, Cheltenham and Morecambe were top seven in January. We were a no show. The long play was, and is, cut out losses there and plan for the future. We can only hope that was the right choice.

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more SaddlerJK, Omlette is surrounded by " bonserite " induced staff who unfortunately hold key positions within the club, why these people are still employed here after years of constant failure to move this club forward beggars belief, I cannot understand how Omlette who by his own admission has been a successful businessman tolerates such inept poor management from these individuals. The Gambles and Moles of this world would have been removed fairly quickly if employed in any other business organisation. So until our chairman actually demonstrates his business acumen and clears the deadwood from the boardroom then perhaps we can move forward with fresh impetus and ambition, but I feel this wonā€™t happen soon thus continuing the downward trend of amateur behaviour to exist.

1 Like

Darrell Clarke should be taking the lionā€™s share of blame for this season. Assembled a crap squad with what we now know was a decent budget, then jumped ship like a complete wuss instead of sorting out the mess he made. It sent a signal to the players that his ā€œprojectā€ wasnā€™t worth it after all, and fudged up the footballing structure of the club.

Fullartonā€™s appointment, while too late this time, will hopefully prevent a similar situation from happening again.

Yes, Adebayo was also a factor. If weā€™re following the official line that he didnā€™t need to be sold then itā€™s even harder to justify. Itā€™s still mostly about Clarke for me though.

7 Likes

FTFY.

Yeah Leigh, was you at a Tuesday night game years ago?? This is vital information we must have.

Does he have any Saddlers tattoos? Only evidence such as that will convince me if he actually gives a damn about this club.

Bet Jeff had a Walsall tattooā€¦sigh.

2 Likes

For me the owner of the football club could be a die hard fan, but someone who is making decisions? Not necessary. To be honest, itā€™s a high risk it can cloud someoneā€™s judgement and it wonā€™t be good. Pandemic will soon end, but who will make the right decisions will win. So I hope next few decisions will be right. Return to League One requires them.

Yep Darrell Clarke also to blame for the terrible squad. However I just canā€™t see that weā€™d have finished 19th under him. The football was crap but heā€™s still a better manager than Dutton.

If we had Clarke next season I wouldnā€™t be worrying about relegation, if we keep Dutton I would be.

2 Likes

Probably have finished around mid table like last season with Clarke I reckon 12-14ish

1 Like