Chairman Talks to Walsall Fan TV

Thats the only defence he has hes not Bonser other than that hes been crap so far.

I’m not sure what you’re saying here, perhaps I should have replied to Thanatos’s post rather than yours. Yes, Mansfield and Bristol Rovers had very good second halves of the seasons. However, my point was that If we’d won those seven games, it still wouldn’t have got us into the play-offs. We would have ended on 75 points. Mansfield would have lost the three they gained from us, and Sutton would have got the last play-off place. We’d have finished behind Tranmere on goal difference. Pomlett suggesting otherwise is just plain wrong.

3 Likes

Its preposterous to even think a Matt Taylor side could have won 7 or even gone 7 without defeat.

3 Likes

It’s all on the viewpoint, not defending him quite the opposite, but I kind of with Leigh that this run killed our season, if we’d have one picked up 12 more points (beat 10-men of Bristol Rovers, Bradford, Stevenage, and Scunthorpe say) we’d have been ~4 points off play-offs with the players having confidence and the fans behind them.

So I agree that those 7-games changed the season, but I feel it’s ultimately Leigh’s fault for not investing in what we needed in January.

…. But we didn’t Mate.

The season prior was also a shambles. We also didn’t win more than two games in a row in months.

A complete shambles from top to bottom.

3 Likes

December 21st…

And what happened in January…Pomlett’s plan??

We lost Khan, and replaced Phillips with an injured player.

The 7 game losing streak didn’t just happen by accident, the general trajectory was entirely predictable.

6 Likes

Fair enough. It’s arguable, but we never seriously bothered the play-offs before that run of seven defeats, we were 13th before and 21st after. Ludicrously, Pomlett was still talking about reaching the play-offs even after sacking Taylor, with us 18 points adrift of them and on the verge of the bottom two (we would have had to win 16 of the 17 remaining games!!)

After that draw at home to Newport on New Years Day we needed to average two points a game to reach the play-offs. Nothing before or after that suggests that was ever a possibility with this team.

3 Likes

Never really watched them before, but echoing others comments, one of the best interviews with LP. Much much much better than the shitty questions he normally gets asked. I thought he created a good raport with him too that allowed some more direct questions.

I still think hes got a WFC “The Business” mentality, but came over ok. If LP unites us with the freehold, then it was good to have him here.

1 Like

Maybe if you were to take off your “WFC everything is shit” specs, you might realise that the majority of fans, while wanting more success, actually enjoy supporting the club.

I certainly do :smile:

9 Likes

The inability to win 2 games on the spin under MT reign is the reason we never challenged the play offs, 7 game losing run never helped but before MF came along we never won 2 consecutive games all season.
Regardless to if we’d picked up a few wins within the 7 game losing run we’d have still not been anywhere near the play offs in fact if we’d have won all 7 we’d have still been 2 points short.

I guess that, if you forecast doom, gloom and disaster often enough, you’ll be proved “right” at some point. I lose track of how many times over the last 5 or 6 seasons we were supposed to be “non league next season”.

That said, the opposite is also true so I do think Mr P would be better not to forecast that we’re “having a right good go” at promotion again, just to promise we’ll be working hard to stabilise and progress on the field in 22-23.

2 Likes

Because, of course, everything has been hunky dory the last few years :joy: :joy: :joy: you were f***ing protesting this season!

How about being right 3 years in a row? Imagine setting “not being non league” as the bar for satisfaction.

I don’t support the club mate. I am a Walsall fan but I don’t support anyone I think is mugging me off. I don’t ask for success, never have, but I extract no enjoyment from being continually lied to, treated like crap and seeing people extract money from this club (our money) that are not deserving of a bloody good wage. Haven’t put a penny in this year and probably won’t next year. Unlike many I have no social outlet via Walsall FC and enjoy myself more doing other things! It will take an awful lot for WFC to ever wrestle me back in all honesty.

I will continue to contribute here as I see fit - more sporadically recently. I actually like it and like many posters (including you), and without being big headed I can give a good amount of input using my professional knowledge.

I guess I have certain expectations of any organisation where I put cash, and even if I have been investing since 1990 if that business treats me like cack I will stop.

4 Likes

That’s fair enough. Apologies for biting, I just get a bit narked when those that know what the issues are, but continue to show up get accused of being happy clappers or having rose tinted glasses.
There are loads of die hards that are really pissed off with our lot, but at the same time still enjoy supporting the club.

11 Likes

Good post BELPHY . Sums up my feelings exactly . No one can be happy with the last 5 years but I don’ t see the point of constantly going over old ground and constantly berating the Chairman.
Some one above mentioned Llera in criticising the club. It is noticeable that things improved a lot for the Youth team after he left and I posted before that he wasn’ t liked by a lot of the youngsters. I just think we have to be a little careful in ascribing all our ills on the Club hierarchy.

5 Likes

Berating’ the chairman?!! Pointing out clear organisational issues year after year is not berating anyone. It’s posting in the hope for positive change! I dont go anymore, it has absolutely no impact on my life. I do it because I still care for fans that do still go and also the future of the football club. Have you ever thought about who will support this club when unfortunately long standing, loyal fans like you are unable to go? Because I am struggling. It’s taken years of mismanagement, lack of forward thinking and, lets be honest, total catastrophic cock ups to get here and I see absolutely nothing in the organisation to suggest its improving. So until I see this expect more realism in my posts - oh sorry, negativity.

I am rarely condescending, try to avoid being confrontational - I respect all that go to the games still - but I’m sorry the continual defense of some of what goes on - from intelligent people - makes me laugh.

When I see something structurally forward thinking and improvising at the club to be ‘positive’ about I will be the first to say. The new entry system - I was on here saying fair play immediately after it was announced - but then of course they have no idea how to implement it, no idea how to lead staff and no idea how to operate it. Same old same old from the same failing people taking 50k+ salaries out of the club every year!!

3 Likes

I would much prefer a bit of honesty. If the club is struggling financially then tell us, and also tell us how we can help. If the club isn’t, had a top 7 budget, and can afford to knock back offers of investment because we’re “giving it a good go”, then unfortunately you put yourself in the frame for having to explain how we started a season with an ageing left winger as our only option at left back, no centre forward other than one the chairman thinks is one when the player himself doesn’t, a rookie manager playing under a bloke whose reputation in the game was clearly dubious. It’s an obvious mess. LP prefers to wax lyrical about Fullartons successes whilst jumping on the slightest thing regarding the fan base, which is exactly what he did when Dutton was here. It’s rinse and repeat from the same board that told us jimmy mullen was the obvious genius in house appointment and anyone that didn’t agree should go and support……what would the modern equivalent be? Bury, Oldham or Scunthorpe.

3 Likes

After first team players were allowed to play for them, in the game immediately after Fullarton took charge, funnily enough. And that “massive improvement” was winning 4 games out of 15, and a goal difference of negative 15.

It’s this type of non context hyperbole that makes people think some can’t see past their Walsall FC goggles.

6 Likes

This club relies on blind loyalty from an ageing fan base one day they will no longer be able to do that then what?

6 Likes