Chairman

The club itself said we would be better placed than others to deal with COVID, almost intimating it would be a leveller and benefit us in footballing terms.

5 Likes

Bit harsh, I was just answering his question.

But you are correct the source of your income is irrelevant, itā€™s zero for everybody at the moment.

Expenditure matters but for all the belly aching about rent we are far from the only club in this division that pays it and lead to believe we have a modest wage budget that has seen three key players and a manager deducted from it recently, three of which we received fees for as well.

Thereā€™s no excuse for the miss management of this football club.

1 Like

Yeah I get that. Shooting themselves in the foot again, just like when they claimed we were aiming for The Championship every season.

What worries me more, is that for example, in clubland, clubs and promoters have prepared for the natural release of pent up frustration when lockdown is over, putting together huge forward thinking events with ticket tiers building up hype - most could have filled their clubs 3 times over. LAB11 has sold 4500 tickets with a waiting list of 2000.

What is our club doing to capitalise on this? Putting some of the worst football we have ever seen on show while talking about Bonsers 20 year old ā€˜Early Bird Ticket Schemeā€™. If people still canā€™t see that we need fresh ideas then there really is no hope.

2 Likes

Glad you edited that :joy::joy:

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m in with the club, paid and everything. They sat me in a dark room and plied me with tea and biscuits, made personally by LP, and made me sign an agreement to back the club up at every opportunity.

You are so right.

2 Likes

Should have left it, was more appropriate considering how he ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  the club :rofl:

1 Like

Maybe not in that sense but not far off

There in lies the problem. Itā€™s like we have been told making a profit and putting money aside for the tough times will set us in good stead. Well the tough times are here and it has left us in 19th place, starring down the barrel of relegation, seemingly selling players and releasing a manager whilst bringing in cheap imitations as replacements. The well run club message runs okay until the benefits of being well run should come to the fore.

Iā€™ve never been an advocate of spending silly money that leads you into trouble and have played the moral high ground card at times against fans of Cov City and Leeds in terms of our approach and got angry when clubs have seemingly cheated there way to success while we have languished.

I am starting to question whether I got angry at the wrong people, and should have been looking closer to home inside the club as being well run seems to be a fallacy.

6 Likes

Or we look even closer to home than the club

We look at ourselves

Every single one of us could have done something to effect change weā€™ve done nothing we just keep bank rolling the whole shut show !

2 Likes

It will be a State of the (Dis)Union Address.

The problem, if thatā€™s the right word, with the conferencing and non-footballing revenue streams, is that they arenā€™t and never have been the icing on the cake. The factors that Whalley inferred would set us apart.
They are fundamental to our very meagre existence and seemingly only allow us to survive even in normal times.
Until either the football revenue is increased, or the conferencing revenue increased, or preferably both are increased, the club will be going nowhere as our costs donā€™t allow it.
I was going to say more innovative thinking is required, but it possibly doesnā€™t even need innovation, just a fresh and more inspiring approach to business as others have far better stated than I.

1 Like

Pretty sure weā€™re still generating income from the Motorway sign, thatā€™s one up on most.

Club needs to get back to what it states it is in the name, football club. Over the years the hospitality and events side has grown in Importance to the point where it seems the football side is seen as another ā€˜eventā€™ to run , with the bonus of it having a some what captive audience due to fan emotional attachment with Walsall FC.

Ultimately Walsall FCā€™s reason to exist is to be a professional football club.

3 Likes

Havenā€™t you been past recently mate?? Itā€™s not there anymore itā€™s been taken down and replaced with a street sign on loan.

1 Like

Didnā€™t Port Vale buy it? :smile:

2 Likes

This is the most likely thing to happen i think.

1 Like

Can this street sign do a job up front?

1 Like

Itā€™s more mobile :smile:

2 Likes

Theyā€™re more like headteacher lectures in his office at the moment. Wonder how many times tomorrow weā€™ll be told weā€™re talking nonsense about things they wonā€™t tell us about?

3 Likes