Change! Change! Change!

Don’t think the Barcelona version is in any way relevant to what I’m talking about ,it completely different Fan ownership does work see AFC Wimbledon for a more relevant example

Good idea - but there are so many most require radical change, organisation and unity. What will actually happen is we will win game, all those with their heads in cloud cuckoo land will predict a top 7 finish, the pressure on the abject failures in the board room will ease then we will lose a few and so the process starts again.

This has been the rut we have been in for years. All those that stay positive, I wish I could get my hands on their pills, I would make a fortune in the clubs in Brum.

We are finished and if we dont go down we will be in division 4 for at least decade - and atm that looks optimistic. Stop crossing your fingers and look at whats in front of us. If you see a top 7 club then I give up :rofl:

3 Likes

There are people that are experts in marketing and business fields on this board Dan, thats the problem :clown_face:

A few very successful clued up posters that would probably get in there and do a really professional job with the same budget. Mainly because they give a shit

Your probably right mate , but really can’t see the way we are run at present changing anything .
If you look at the way these fan ownership works there is still a level of management but obviously the fan group has a input

The Mole below the waterline is a bit of a problem too.

4 Likes

There are many a big clubs and small clubs in the football leagues who have chucked extortionate money away at chasing success but still find themselves struggling. So chucking money at the problem is not the resolution. So those blaming the wage budget for our demise are barking Up the wrong tree.

1 Like

Using the Barca story as a warning to how Walsall would operate :joy:

Clueless

5 Likes

Just supporters, or even customers if we must, who care and have feedback on the experience and product. Some posters do indeed have experience and expertise the areas you identify.

How well your club is run in relation to its peers is reflected objectively by the league table. We were objectively the fifth worst club in the football league last season and after nine games are underperforming against that low benchmark. This despite having one of the highest turnovers and fan bases in the division we currently sit (the bottom one). I don’t think anybody doubts that it is hard and I certainly don’t doubt the hard work the management and board commit to getting it right. But unfortunately there are swathes of the organisation that just aren’t good enough.

4 Likes

I don’t like the use of the word liar unless it can be proved that is the case. I believe we have a top ten budget and I believe LP wants to get us up the top end of the table. Is anyone seriously suggesting he has a secret plan for keeping us in the bottom 3 or 4 and flirting with the Conference? Things have not gone our way so far and the team rebuilding left us short up front but not one of us knows the reason for that. It is obviously hurting us and as I have said elsewhere that was a mistake but we don’t how that came about. As PEEL85 says though lets see what happens when we are able to field our more experienced players.If we are still in the mire when that happens then I will accept we are in trouble and drastic action needs to be taken.
One other point. A lot of people keep moaning about the back 4.If we had more of the ball and attacked more I think the back 4 would be perfectly adequate for this division.
As for the future of the Club unless we get massive investment then this is it folks. An existence in this division with perhaps the odd foray above but Clubs like us will never be able to compete in the higher reaches of division 1 or the Championship again. For that you can blame the way the game is run these days. I feel really sorry for our young fans who ,unless we get that investment, will never see the football I have seen in my life.

2 Likes

The truth is that the club have received this year an EXTRA income from transfers, compensation and the Rico Henry money in total of nearly £2 million!!! This is on top of the budget that was available for this season. There is/was plenty of money to compete for some of the best players so what happened?
As for other interested parties of which there are many, who wish to wrestle ownership from both Bonser and his pension fund and the current chairman and board. The bad news is that the club is Not for sale …….and why should it be?

2 Likes

I agree on the word “liar”. And some of the others I’ve seen. There’s a difference between skill and will. I sense a lot of will and a deficiency in lots of skills.

But on the “clubs like ours” not being able to compete in league one again. I see the likes of Wycombe, Accrington and Wimbledon and Rotherham all doing very nicely in the third division. I’d argue some of those are smaller clubs than us and they certainly all haven’t had huge investment. They’ve just performed really well with what they have.

And attracting investment isn’t cheating. It is about being an attractive proposition. Not necessarily in terms of a financial return but a lifestyle and emotional return. Peterborough are another club “like ours” but whilst Barry Fry was attracting Darragh Mcanthony to spend some of his millions at London Road we were telling ourselves a smug, self satisfied “well run club” story whilst making our club less and less attractive to the like of Mcanthony. There are other Mcanthony’s out there. People with tens if not hundreds of millions of pounds who as well as a big boat and a horse fancy a crack at owning a professional football club. Some will be charlatans, others very solid people with a football interest. Our club shouldn’t be unattractive to such people but it has been managed into a corner where it is.

5 Likes

A cold slice of reality from someone that knows business.

It’s the way it is folks, but heaven forbid we call these CEO’s conmen.

1 Like

I don’t know why people can’t see , everything is in plain sight.

2 Likes

This thread is called Change x 3. Funny thing change , we were recently in meltdown over problems with access to the stadium, catering , queues for beer and filthy toilets.
All seem to have gone quiet now.

It’s the nature of the defeats and the sort of lack of real possession and creativity that does it for me mate if there was a crumb of evidence to suggest we are suddenly going to dominate games at home I’d agree we have a chance of playoffs but whilst the team is conceding 70 odd percent possession in a half when your 1-0 up at home to a team who haven’t won away since December last year I’m afraid I can’t bring myself to agree people saying it’s not a right off yet plus that performance came on the back of a poor performance away to Newport let alone the shocker at Hartlepool so until I personally see something to point me in the direction of a playoff push or a season that isn’t written off yet I’m afraid to me it will be written off just my opinion of course and I will be more than happy for you to say I told you so in 3 months time.

1 Like

That’s it, for all these years we’ve been get praised for being a “well-run club” all these other clubs that do things the ‘wrong way’ have been stepping on us on their way up the ladder. Even most of those that do run into serious financial problems seem to recover and overtake us after a few years!

It’s only the fluke appointment of a Premier League manager in waiting that stopped us reaching this point 10 years earlier!

I said in a previous post that for every winner in football there has to be a loser, and I just don’t know how we can get on the winning side. I’m just pleased I’m old enough to have experienced some success in my time as a fan. If you started supporting us after 2007 I feel sorry for you!

5 Likes

Exactly, including the fact that nobody is getting anywhere near the boardroom of Walsall FC, because anyone be they much needed financial investors or fans representitives they would as board members be party to “commercially sensitive information”, and Pommers and co literally said they don’t want that happening when ISSA floated the idea. You could turn up at the Bezla with a million quid to put in the playing budget and you wouldn’t be allowed on the board unless you pass the test of being a dyed in the wode Bonser acolyte.

3 Likes

Note the Oldham fans mocked Abdullah by dressing up as Clowns. Not sure that’s the correct fit for Pomlett and co. A clown is too intelligent.

Tennis balls anyone???

1 Like

Well I did say “higher reaches” of the division above. I think we can get there but I doubt in the current circumstances we would be promotion candidates very often.Mind you a decent cup run or two and some decent football would be heaven compared to what we are currently going through. A return to the seventies would in this context be a success!!!

3 Likes

So would a return to the Hibbit era.

3 Likes