‘Circuitbreaker’ for football

It’s a point I made on another thread a couple of months back. The PFA should be funding this testing as it’s in their members interests. However, Gordon Taylor has been very, very quiet of late. Probably sorting out his pension before he leaves…

4 Likes

Yes that’s probably it , still looks weird seeing the subs distancing until they come on

Does anyone know how many professional footballers have died or become seriously ill with Covid?

I think there’s been one death worldwide (in South America), Saint Maximim and Lascelles not very well with it at Newcastle right now so they reckon.

Apart from that I havn’t heard anything else in the media other than games called off.

It’d be the potential for footballers to act as vectors to the general community that would be the main issue. When I got it from the incredibly safe school environment, the couple of colleagues who got within 1m from me were required to self isolate. Given that footie is still just about a contact sport, I can’t see how it can be sustained given the surge at the moment. Unless our betters in the PL would find proper weekly testing.

1 Like

I’m assuming the PL would carry on as they will be testing twice weekly after Xmas I believe.

True, but it still didn’t stop half the Liverpool squad going down with it :rofl:

1 Like

Liverpool or Newcastle?

Think Liverpool have had Salah, Thiago and Mane to name 3 big stars.

Guessing international travel was the cause.

1 Like

Salah was said to have caught it at his Brothers wedding if newspaper reports were true.

2 Likes

I’ve often posted about how footballers are just workers like everybody else. They have good days and bad days and should expect certain protection and rights in their place of work like the rest of us. In other words, footballers are normal and often fall victim to a special status that fans sometimes categorise them in.

The flip side to that normalisation is that they shouldn’t be excluded from doing normal things. So I read with interest that EFL clubs can’t afford to have their players tested which might curtail the season.

Covid tests are free and are now very very widely available. If 30 Walsall staff need a weekly test to be able to carry on working then I don’t really get why that has to automatically mean using the private sector and shelling out thousands of pounds.

Join the queue with everyone else. There’s a testing centre very accessible to most people now and you get the results very quickly. Lower league footballers won’t be mobbed. They aren’t special. If they rightly want to be treated in their workplace like everyone else then they should do some stuff like everyone else. And maybe that includes having a Covid Test every week to ensure that they can keep working.

Or am I missing something dead obvious?

Is it because the tests aren’t for people who have no symptoms, Tone?

1 Like

Have an egg cup!:grinning:

I honestly thought the symptom free testing we’ve had around here for a couple of months had-spread across the country. Obviously not.