Colchester United (A) 7th Sept, 3pm

Defences dominate in Essex.
Liddle nearly scores!
(Bonus - Zeli gets sent off.)

Quest moments

Positives?
We were up to 20th in the 4th Division for a moment or two, get the bunting out, but it didn’t last.
We didn’t lose.
We didn’t concede.
We played in red.
The weather wasn’t too cold.
Our own manager is bored by our own ineptitude…wow, sorry that’s a negative aye it…I’ll get slated for that one.
Morecambe & Scunny fixtures coming soon! ( after yet another right 'ammerin off Bradford.)

That sounds slightly less exciting than watching the game yesterday, Welsh.

Did you suggest they put forward their monthly magazine as guest publication on Have I got news for you?

:wink:

Looks like the sky reporter had enough aswell :rofl:

https://twitter.com/beewestwood/status/1170626155231305728?s=19

In any football season they’ll always be a 0-0 when hardly anything happens, pretty sure on this weekend last year you had a 0-0 with Blackpool which was a dire watch but fine in the context of a better than expected start. Going years back I can remember a 0-0 at home to Gillingham in Hutchings spell when nothing happened.

Keeping a clean sheet again is a start at least. For all the defensive set up this season the team actually has struggled to keep many clean sheets in last few weeks so step forward especially away from home to team with a decent attack.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/InTheShires/status/1170479391635365889?s=09

■■■■ taking Sky w***pots

1 Like

Gross overreaction. There were worse games in the last season. After this game it can be said, that defence is sorted, probably. Attack? Needs more time and/or new player during Winter. But worst game? Well, that’s not Premier League, and even there they can play real dross sometimes. Expectations always hurt :wink:
And on a side note, Roberts improved his kicking and he restarts play little bit better. Good coaching staff behind can be the reason.

1 Like

Just trying to get in her pants :roll_eyes::angry:

2 Likes

When I saw the team sheet there wasn’t a creative player in the starting 11. We were set up not to lose the game rather than try to win it. We have to play Hardy and McDonald more often than the odd game or two, both like to go forward and take on opponents. Some of our players seem scared to cross the half-way line!
I’m quite worried about our forwards. Gaffney, Lavery and Gordon are pretty much alike in their work habits, tireless runners, but no end product. Eli is raw, but (IMO) has more talent and potential than the others combined. Once he scores - and he will score, I believe he is capable of netting 15 + this season, I don’t see that happening with the other three.
I still have confidence in what DC is trying to do here, it’s proving to be a bigger job than we thought. We had no reserve or youth teams, the first team was released and the re-build experiment began.
It’s way to early to criticize Darrell, he’s still tinkering around with formations and players. He knows the players he wants, money is preventing him from signing them, and there lies the problem.
I don’t think there’s going to be a lot of money available as long as we remain in L2, that’s why it’s critical we claw our way out of this league as soon as possible. LP promised outside investment once we are back in LI, but not until then.
In the mean time, we climb aboard this roller-coaster and try to enjoy the ride!

2 Likes

Agree to an extent , Adebayo looks good with his hold up player but looks very lightweight when (and I mean WHEN ) he is in front of goal , which isn’t very often as he and Gordan are always running wide to receive a ball , rather than having one crossed into them .

Not seen much of Gaffney other than the clips put on utube , but feel he could be the missing link (no jokes please ) as he looks very useful in front of goal .
Lavery is still a little off match fitness in my opinion but could form a useful partnership with Gaff I think , just need to get a little confident and try a shot occasionally .

If DC was bored himself watching the game, why did he pull our most attack minded midfielder back to play as a wing-back (more back than wing), in exchange for pushing a bloke playing as a CH into the back part of the midfield? He did look like he was going for it a bit more when he went 3 up top but, as Adebayo replaced Holden, where did he think the supply would suddenly come from that hadn’t been there all game to a front 2?

Let’s try the tactic of keeping them away from our goal by playing the ball more in their half with numbers to hem them in rather than passing it around a back 8 and hoofing it in the general direction of 2 isolated forwards every now and then.

1 Like

I agree , the sooner they ■■■■ that Cook off the better …oh :rofl:

1 Like

I have faith but for our boss too come out and say he was bored, wtf does he think fans we travled that far must feel? Bad comment from dc in my eyes

2 Likes

If he’d have said it was an entertaining game,you would have called him a liar,He can’t win really,can he?

Good point i guess, but dont you think thats a bit of a blow too fan after going so far too hear your manager tell you that? or am i just completley off the money here?

He could have acknowledged that the fans that travel all that way and cough up their money deserve a bit better.
He doesn’t seem to be trying to get on the fans’ side at the minute, in fact seems to prefer snide put downs. It will bite him in the arse at some point.

Listen im not slaging bloke off anything like that i just think that was a weird comment too make after the fans traveled that far too watch that then he comes out and says it was boring and jules says it was a great defensive showing, because no offence it really wasnt, if that was a team who could take chances we would of lost 4 or 5. Its goto change round for us at some point and really hope its soon before it gets even more sour which will never fix anything but some of the comments we get to hear and read are a joke. in MY opinion

2 Likes

The “sweet success” line was extremely petulant in my opinion. As if he couldn’t believe he got a few pelters after losing 3-1 at home.

He seems to like to give it the big’un in press and talking to the fans but you have to earn that right first.

I didn’t take to the put down about fans taking 30 minutes to assess a player either - really condescending.

2 Likes