Colin Taylor

Nobody has ever hit the ball harder, not even Lorimer I think it was for Leeds. I saw Cannonball score from halfway line at Fellows Park. He took a penalty once at the Laundry End and hit it dead straight at the Goalie, who caught it. It was hit so hard the goalie and ball ended up in the net. Happy Days.What a Player!

5 Likes

I’m sure i have posted this before but my dad once said he hit the ball so hard that he hit the post and turned the pitch round :rofl:

5 Likes

My favorite player of all time!

3 Likes

In his book, Alex Stepney recons his was the hardest shot he ever tried to save harder than Lorimers.

Mine too David.
Whenever he got the ball the excitement and anticipation that went around the ground was incredible.

1 Like

Wish I was old enough to have seen him play.

1 Like

Before my time. But i know loads about him.

1 Like

Yes, we were lucky but you don`t entirely realise it at the time Switlgc.
When you hopefully reach old codger stage you too will recall special times, oustanding matches and favourite players.
Enjoy and embrace all that you can because as someone once said to me upon reaching the ripe old age of 21, it goes quick.

1 Like

It sure does Shady 53. My first match was Jan 1975, so my memories are of Buckley, Wright and Andrews onwards. I’m not too far from old codger stage and am already feeling nostalgic about that era.

2 Likes

Not a bad three to have memories of Switlgc.
I`m heading towards 67 now but still 27 in my head :laughing:

1 Like

According to Wiki, the club promised to build a permanent memorial to Colin.

2 Likes

‘The club’ also promised to build a promotion winning team!
A permanent statue of him should be erected, if our poor old club can’t afford it, I would be pleased to make the first donation towards a fan sponsored memorial. Colin was the very embodiment of what a Walsall football team stands for in our history and our community.

1 Like

Shady53, I’m the right side of 60 but like you, in my head I’m still a twenty something! And yes, those three scored in my first match, a 3-0 win over Bury. Next match, the 1-0 against Newcastle in the cup. Not a bad start to watching the Saddlers. Oh for those three up front now.

2 Likes

That’s a great idea about a supporters funded statue of a legend. Could put it to vote to see who it should be. You see them at away grounds all the time and ads a bit of character to the stadium and a bit of pride to the fans. Sure it would be something that all fans could pull together for to raise the money.

I was quoting Wikipedia…

Another option could be The Colin Taylor Suite with a nice commemorative plaque. If only we had a function suite that requires a re-name.:thinking:

They also promised to sort the queues on match day :slightly_frowning_face:

Ah, thought such a promise by the Scrooge mentality at the Bescot was a bit much to ask.

Think the shortlist in a poll for statue would have to include Colin Taylor, Gilbert allsopp, Alan Buckley, Jimmy walker,. I don’t know how to create a poll personly. Would be interesting though to get the ball rolling.

1 Like

Could’nt agree more. Except we need ones for Gilbert Allsop, Tony Richards and Bucko as well Gets expensive.!