Coronavirus: EFL offers £50m to help clubs as Trophy final postponed

The bulk of it goes to the Championship Clubs…seems the wrong round for me.

2 Likes

I doubt L2 clubs will see much of this ‘help’…

On the plus side perhaps we’ll get some of the million pound pot for clubs that give opportunities to home-grown young players.

1 Like

There are going to be some clubs in the lower divisions that will be seriously effected (financially) by the postponement. They are the clubs that need the EFL money, not the Championship clubs.
I’ve included Walsall in that group. We may be a well run club, but cannot afford to take a 10 game hit in the pocket book.
If we don’t get assistance from the EPL, it could seriously affect the budget for next season.

In line with some excellent gestures being made by those in the business world with deeper pockets to support the community in these testing times, wouldn’t it be a fantastic gesture for the Prem League clubs to contribute to a “fighting fund” to supporting L1, L2 and non-league teams?

2 Likes

I agree but it would need to be regulated. There shouldn’t be a “Bury” fund for clubs who ■■■■ it all away. Rather it should be for absolute unforeseen circumstances such as those we are living through now.

2 Likes

wouldn’t it be a fantastic gesture for the Prem League clubs to contribute to a “fighting fund” to supporting L1, L2 and non-league teams?

It certainly would SG, and a great thought.

1 Like

Agreed and they should do it. One thing about our situation is that in addition to match income we will also lose a good chunk of our commercial income which comes in via parties,receptions etc.

On that note, is the market still going ahead?