D 1-1 (W 4-2 pens) vs Northampton Town (A) - Papa John’s Trophy Group L - Tue 5th Oct, 7pm

Rose’s game could well be improving with the loan of Rushworth and watching him especially with his agility they’d spend plenty of time together at training I did with the other keeper in our squad and you get quite a rapport going as well as trying to beat one another in a friendly way so this loan spell might well make rose a much better keeper which is obviously beneficial to us when Carl leaves.

1 Like

Yep I liked what I saw last night . Bright and inventive going forward and fairly resolute at the back .

Stand out for me was Kiernon. Nippy .

2 Likes

Not only Harden, but Goscote, Leamore, Blakenall Heath and lots of other places too.

3 Likes

I’ve liked Kiernan, what I’ve seen of him. For someone who has spent most of his career in non-league he seems capable at this level. A bit unpolished but that’s to be expected. He works hard, which ought to be a given, but as we know, it isn’t.

1 Like

Pace and work rate can make you go far. Although that’s doing him a disservice I think he’s a decent player as well.

2 Likes

Agree about Kiernan. He puts a shift in every game. Has got better technically as the season has gone on. If he can add a fee more goals to his game he could be a really good signing. Nice bloke when you talk to him after the game as well.

1 Like

enniskillen

Final word, I was impressed with Etete, the Spurs lad on loan, for Northampton. I’d like to see him with us - a real presence - surprised we didn’t sign him.

I was going to say the same thing. Being at Spurs and playing under MT (who gave him a big hug at the end of the game), why did he choose Northampton over us? Maybe Matt tried to sign him but we could match wages.
I suspect that was the case with a lot of players (targets) we tried to sign!

I think he adds to the team overall much better than McDonald did. Wes had a spectacular goal or two in him, and he did plenty of Charles “Charlie” Charles tippety-tappety wing play (Harry Enfield’s “Arsenal of the 30s vs Liverpool of the 90s” for those not familiar), but there was seldom ever a decent final ball at the end of it to create a chance for anyone else, and he certainly wasn’t the best at tracking back and helping out his fullback. Kiernan has shown he can score (though he ought to be bagging a few more), can cross and find a key pass, and can do the dirty work when we’re defending.

4 Likes

Thought it was Monthe who gave penalty away.

I thought we played quite tidily last night. Shows that there are no confidence issues in the team the way they banged in those penalties.

Rose seem to enjoy his return to first team action. Good prep for Salford.

Osadebe was MoM for me just ahead of Meyanese. Just wish he could put his foot on the ball cleanly more often and not over hit his passes. A couple of potential killer passes last night but just struck too hard.

Let’s hope Os can keep it up as the season goes on it’s clear we need him with such a thin squad so him chipping in with good performances will help,nobody plays awesome every week we all know that but he had gone off the rails a little culminating in his as some described non existent injury last week so I’m pleased for Os the best way to shut people up is shutting them up on the pitch with performances.As for Menayese he’s been exceptional almost all season he’s more than solid and I have no idea why he’s on loan here with Mansfield’s defensive frailties.

1 Like

Yes and he also delivered a higher percentage of good balls from corners and free kicks. He is clearly a confidence player but when he goes on a run, defences are terrified of him. He will always have limitations - we are in League 2 - but when he plays well, I’d much rather he was on our side than theirs.

Menayese did play well, particularly in the second half.

2 Likes

Take more than a goal against Northampton’s reserves to shut me up mate, can’t wait for his MOM on Saturday.

1 Like

Agreed. After Bristol rovers he Owes us far more than a goal in the tinpot and his one performance last Saturday

So we have won 1 and drawn 1 and have 5 points while Northampton have drawn 2 and got 3 points!!

I know there is a bit of a convoluted points scoring system to this competition but am I right in thinking that you get 3 points for a win in 90 mins, 2 points if you draw and win the pens, 1 points if you draw and lost the pen shoot out?
That seems to compute from my calculations!:thinking::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Now you know how we feel when you publish the prediction league table :crazy_face:

Yes that’s right

1 Like

Holding onto anger is like jumping into the sea holding onto an anchor

If you don’t let it go, you will drown.

:blush:

6 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That’ll be a 2 shot penalty if you keep up that cheek! :wink:

1 Like

Yep. Drop the rock. You’re right @Belphegor

1 Like