Dean Keates

Anyone know what he was like wheeling and dealing at Wrexham? We have a few of their fans browsing this forum still after all. Did he get most deals in early or leave it to last minute? So many managers do of course, Martin O’Neill was always notorious for this when he was at Villa and Wenger was similar in his later years.

After getting in Cook and Ismail early been disappointed with no other signings secured so let’s hope this summer is a bit of a wake up call for DK and he can learn from this although January is usually even more last minute than the summer window.

This an interview we did with a Wrexham fan when Deano got the job, quite insightful…

https://upthesaddlers.com/t/dean-keates-to-walsall-a-wrexham-view/81

1 Like

First, you actually need a defence to organise!

Strangely I know a couple of Wrexham fans up here. Both glad to see the back of him. Not saying that means anything, but I was a bit surprised at their opinions, unless it was just sour grapes with him leaving and the play-off chances going tits up.

Yeah one thing I have seen a few say on Twitter is that he focused on trying to sign Andy Cook so much all summer that it left them with nothing much. That is my only worry and I hope he hasn’t spent all summer chasing a certain centre back.

2 Likes

Cook was signed in late May. He also came from non league so surely didn’t take up most of the budget although who knows with the miniscule rations from the bank of Bonser.

Sorry, I meant he tried to sign him at Wrexham all summer! Failed, they ended up with nothing else up front.

Definitely reckon he was banking on getting Pearson, but they were having none of it.

It’s not difficult to understand at all. My point is what’s the point in all those backroom staff when you have no players

they are two different issues. Why are you putting them together?

Ah right get your point now. Bit worrying if that’s his transfer method as you can’t just assume plan A will always happen.

Similar tracking this Wrexham CB. He might have the trust of DK but guy played one season at Grimsby and then got released.

I dunno, I want DK to do well like everyone else but he’s risking a poor start to the season and all the pressure that will create big time here.

Keates should have used a big slug of his budget on signing an experienced League 1 Centre-half early in the summer. It’s such a critical position and shouldn’t have been left till one day before the season starts.

1 Like

Deano has just been sacked at Wrexham

Could see this coming if they missed out on play-offs. Very costly for Dean, what with buying power of the owners. He’ll never get a better chance to manage a club in the lower leagues where money’s no object.

Yep. I was surprised the new owners didn’t replace him straight away. I’m expecting them to bring a ‘name’ in to replace him.

1 Like

Michael Caine with Silvester Stallone as goalkeeping coach, and Pele to stiffen up the back 4 :joy:

3 Likes

Not really sacked as his contract had ended so it hasn’t cost them anything.

I’d expect him to find another similar job possibly at Solihull whenever they are next looking.

1 Like

He probably regrets leaving them first time. Think he had them close to automatics and obviously was far too early for him to be a league manager.

Set his managerial career back a few years now but those are the risks I guess and you could understand him wanting to come home.

2 Likes

Wonder where his next move will be…

Casey Stoney might be taking his seat in the dugout

Controversial but think she would do a job