Dean Smith and John Terry

Various articles online state average L1 manager salary is between £100,000 - £200,000.

So 100,000 in the grand scheme of being a L1 manager isn’t that much

Exactly. So the bottom end of the scale. And we are talking about a manager that was getting attraction from the league above and could be, if everything clicks, a premier league manager sooner rather than later. That’s why it is peanuts.

It doesn’t matter about it being below average for league one. It’s about what he could earn at his level.

Smith owes us something though so he shouldn’t have moved!!! JUDASSSSS

It just baffles me how short sighted people can be. How they can go to any length of mental gymnastics to argue that a manager who took a terrible team that looked nailed on for relegation to safety. improve it year on year, not just in terms of results but a genuine footballing improvement as well, to the point where they look certain for promotion, then do a similar progression job at a team like Brentford in one of the toughest and most competitive divisions in Europe isn’t actually that good.

And more to that owe us something because we didn’t sack him in the process of doing it.

I’ve said it before there’s no loyalty in football. Not from the players or managers. But there’s also no loyalty from the board, the chairman or the fans to those players and managers. There is winning. losing and money. That’s it.

@SamsaraSaddler @el_nombre Without wanting to be drawn into either of your mundane, monotonous constant derailing of threads by picking needless arguments over such contentious issues, I do wish to clarify something. If £100,000 - £200,000 is the average salary of L1 managers, earning £100,000 is neither peanuts nor ‘not that much’ - it is the average salary. A figure below the average scale such as £80,000 would fit into both of your categories.

1. List item

You’ve missed my point completely.

I don’t care if it is the average. I don’t care if it’s smack bang in the middle of the league.

You’re comparing league one salaries from three years ago to a manager that is clearly above that level.

Here I was thinking this was a place for football discussion. Maybe I should just waste time posting “hilarious” puns instead.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:Needless arguments? Mate people are just debating your point …I’m not going to argue with you :grin:. I’ve only argued with a certain poster because they told me I knew nothing about football because I dared to disagree. You’re making your points well so chillllllllllllllllllllll :sunglasses:

I didn’t mean this specific debate but in general, and the pathetic argument comment was mainly aimed at El ■■■■■■■■

Wheeeeeeeeeey first one of the new site. Cheers mate.

No I think you’ve missed the point. A poster stated that the Villa job will be Dean’s first decent contract. I stated that, comparatively, Smith was earning decent wack whilst at Walsall.

What a sad life you lead

He wasn’t though! That’s exactly the point! He wasn’t on a decent whack for his skill level.

That’s like having an office junior who gets promoted to office manager and arguing he’s no better off because “well he was being offered the average wage for an office junior”. He might not have been on “peanuts” for that job but he is for his level of ability. That’s the point you keep missing.

Mate I won’t argue with you don’t worry. I’m happy to just debate things and if we still can’t agree, agree to disagree :grinning:

1 Like

He chose to sign the contract which suggests he felt it was fair recompense for his skill set. Unless his skill set developed ten fold in between signing the contact and leaving for Brentford

Whose claiming he thought it was peanuts when he signed the contract? Not me. You’d have to ask him. It still was though considering how well he proved himself and where he ended up.

But ■■■■ this. You’ve weakly attempted to insult me three times now. Have a good one!

Tatty bye

should have gone with him, the success they have had was together, it will end in tears.

Last I heard was that O’Kelly was also on his way to Villa Park.

1 Like

My nephew said he was but nothing yet?