Defence

Hasn’t 4-4-2 been played for most of the home games this season? The 0-0 against Blackpool when hardly a clear cut chance was created, the 1-4 home defeat to Donny, losing to Accy at home?

Maybe it is the best formation for this squad but it’s hardly a bullet proof system week in week out. Just two weeks ago Luton gave it the absolute runaround.

My personal opinion is it’s a mid table squad and mid table teams tend to beat or draw those below them (Wimbledon, Plymouth, Oxford, Bristol Rovers etc) and lose to teams above (Luton, Accy, Donny etc).

Might just be a boring opinion but there you go. Hopefully that will change as it’s a pretty tough run of fixtures now up to new year and the recent form hasn’t been great.

No one said it was bullet proof but it got us comfortably in the top half, keeping things simple with the limited quality available.

There was no need to change.

2 Likes

It’s not like we haven’t had bad performances with the 4-4-2 as well.

Astounded that your answer to Dobson and Osbourne playing ■■■■ is to drop Ronan.

Ronan cant play in a 2, take it you agree with this?

Not sure why Kinsella isnt preferred to Osbourne, had I mentioned picking the latter?

1 Like

Totally agree. Not sure why that’s relevant though. Or maybe we should have literally no other alternatives to 4-4-2 and be completely one dimensional.

Its relevant because if you want Ronan in the team, then it rules out 442 completely.

1 Like

Fine. I’d rather sacrifice the 4-4-2 and have Ronan in the team than sacrifice Ronan to have Dobson and Osbourne as a two man central midfield at the minute. And I genuinely see no reason why anybody would think differently. Two games in a row he’s been our best midfielder. And more to the point Osbourne and Dobson have been poor for weeks save for a goal last week.

What you say makes no sense - changing the entire way of playing just fit in some kid from Wolves.

Crazy talk. Speak soon.

1 Like

If you can’t understand that then I’m onto loser trying to get anything through to you, to be honest.

1 Like

…I think some people may think differently about the lad if it wasn’t for the Wzzzzs connection

1 Like

This is a work in progress.

Mid table would be superb after the last few years.

We will get better, and the defence will get better.

We are the only side in the top half with a negative goal difference. We concede too much.

From what i have seen, albeit a couple of live games and every game on ifollow, i think that leahy is a good winger, being played in the wrong role, he has quite a few assists to his name, and i also think that Devlin is a good player, i love his enthusiasm. Guthrie is solid fitzwater is getting there and with martin match fit and his knowledge of the game we have a good set up. But sometimes you have to defend as a team which we haven’t done for a while, so blame the team not just the defence, at the end of the day our defenders are running their balls off to help us score goals, it’s about time the help was reciprocated.

3 Likes

Hate to disagree but Leahy would never make a winger at this level … he has one major flaw no pace !

That’s why he dives into tackles because if he stands players up they will always beat him.

1 Like

Granted it was only one game, and probably not fair to judge given the circumstances, but Leahy played left wing against Fleetwood in the last game of the season and was terrible.

Yep I was there , he had ye pace of a slug and was completely ineffective.

In no world is he a winger, but he could be a left midfielder. That is a different thing. His proper position is wing back.

There have been plenty of very good wide midfielders that weren’t pacy, but you have to have pace to be a winger. It’s a different role.

1 Like